cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Cannot config IPS on 871W router because of JAVA memory heap - Help!

okeblawi
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I'm trying to use SDM 2.4.1 on a Cisco 871w Router (124-15T adv ip serv) to configure IPS. It states I need to increase my java memory heap to 256 to do so.

I've seen posts on how to increase the memory heap in Java (control panel --> java --> advanced --> -Xmx256m --> etc ..) but it causes fatal java errors for my systems.

This seems to happen on every PC I have using the latest JRE 1.6 on IE7 (WinXPsp2). I've also tried running the heap command at CMD> java -Xmx256m .. or -Xms256m -Xmx256m etc .. and it always displays an error ? or basic help page.

Are there any java pros that can help me out with this? or edit the sdm startup to increase heap dynamically?

any help is greatly appreciated.

5 Replies 5

RF_IESFAFE
Level 1
Level 1

I have also experienced the same problem.

The only workaround I have found so far was to use Firefox instead of IE.

Rui

Thanks Rui.

I've also tried Firefox (latest version) .. but it simply closes/crashes when I get to the java portion of SDM.

I'll try another system to verify it's not only my laptop.

I suspect it is a bug of Java JRE.

I can successfully use SDM 2.4.1 with Firefox 2.0 and JRE build 1.5.0_11-b03.

Regards,

Rui

Rui,

I'm sure you're right. I can use Firefox and JRE1.6 on another system without problems.

Not an ideal solution for my particular situation .. but this gets me started!

THanks for your help .. and also confirming i'm not the only person with this issue.

If you find a better way, please let me know too :)

Meanwhile I am still trying to find a better way, just updated SDM today to 2.4.1

Regards

Rui

PS: I was trying to send you an email but "okeblawi@nikonrca.com" is not currently working, please contact me at rmssf@iesfafe.pt

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card