Views
Helpful
Replies

How to attach a modem to ASA console port

freedream
Level 1
Level 1

Hi all

My US customer need a remote access to ASA 5505 in its China branch office.Since there is no AUX port on this product,we have to attach a modem to console port.

During the test,i meet a problem when i finish the physical link between modem and ASA console using a RJ45-to-DB9 converter,the TR LED of modem doesn't light on.However,the same link is OK when i change to a Cisco router.And i can access the router EXEC mode through analog line.

Seems that the ASA console port is a bit different with Cisco router's.But i don't know what is it.

So hope someone can help.

PS: The following method of making RJ45-DB9 converter is right or not ?If not,pls tell me how to make it correctly

Cisco SERIAL (DCE/Modem/etc)

RJ45 DB9 DB25 DB9/25 Function

1 (CTS) 8 5 CTS

2 (DSR) 1 1 DCD

3 (RX+) 2 3 RX+

4 (RX-) 5 7 GND (RX-/TX-)

5 (TX-) 5 7 GND

6 (TX+) 3 2 TX+

7 (DTR) 4 20 DTR

8 (RTS) 7 4 RTS

Thanks!

Aaron

4 Replies 4

purohit_810
Level 5
Level 5

Ideally it should work if router's console wotk , but ASA's concole doen't work because of it has pin connectivity different.

Try in Mangt port and revert me?

Regards,

Dharmesh Purohit

First,thank you,Dharmesh.

Unfortunately,my ASA 5505 doesn't have Mangt port.There are only 8 switch ports,one console and two USB port.

What can i do then?

Regards,

Aaron

Hi,Mohammed

I know this document and i check it carefully.

I'm afraid my failure is caused for the different equipments used for the test.I'm in China,i have no US modem the Cisco document refers.And my domestic modem doesn't consist of DIP switch function.

Perhaps,i'm not able to finish such a test if this is the real problem.

Anyway,thanks for your hlep.

Aaron

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card