cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Citrix on VPN over DSL

jimmyetimos
Level 1
Level 1

I have a scenario where multiple suboffices are connecting over vpn dsl 1Mb connections (using cisco 876 routers) to a main office (cisco 2811) that has a 512kbps leased line on a serial interface.

The vpn is achieved through ipsec crypto maps. I can provide further details if necessary.

In testing from one suboffice only (in the rest the pc's are shut down) if I start 1 or more rdp connections I see the bandwidth reaching quickly the 512kbps limit and then staying there providing excellent performance to all one, two or three lets say rdp connections.

The same happens when I start http, ftp or even plain old windows file transfers. I see the bandwidth reach 512kbps and stay there as long as its needed to serve all requests.

In the case of ica sessions though, bandwidth never passes over 50 or 60k. That enables one or two sessions to work perfectly but when more connect (4,5) they all kinda of freeze and work very slow. No matter how many ica sessions open after that they all cram into 50k. Bandwidth only shows to pass the 50 or 60k and reaches 300-400 when they print.

As far as published application we only have one desktop and they all connect to that allowing one session per user only.

I have tried playing with the MTU size with no difference at all. Have set all the clients on the one suboffice used for testing to 1250 and the server also with no results.

For the life of me, I can't figured out what is going on. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

2 Replies 2

deepinder
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Jimmy,

If there is no QoS confiqured on ur routers I dont see any reason for such behaviour. Check the configuration of Citrix there might me something related to bandwith usage.

Regards

Deepinder Singh Babbar

melchib
Level 1
Level 1

Hi - Were you ever able to resolve this issue? I am seeing a similar scenario - where ICA Citrix and RDP are really slow over a L2L VPN between two ASA's.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card