davehedgehog
Level 1
Level 1

I have a Cisco 3750 switch with the following VLAN's

2 - Engineers

3 - Automation Dept

4 - AN Other Company

5 - Guest Access

I have an 1131ag connected to the 3750 and I have setup a dot1q trunk on the swithchport that connects to the AP.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/tech/tk722/tk809/technologies_configuration_example09186a0080665ceb.shtml

The above guide stresses I must configure a native VLAN but I dont understand why. All traffic on the link between the AP and the 3750 will be tagged surely, where will untagged frames come from. All of the VLANS I mentioned will have an SSID on the access point. If i must configure a native VLAN can it be one that has an SSID on the AP or does it have to be a seperate VLAN. also, the guide seems to show that you set up subinterfaces on the radio interface and set the encapsulation as dot1q. why would i need to set up dot1q on the radio interface? think i'm missing the point - please could someone explain. thanks i'm tearing my hair out here!

3 Replies 3

andrew.brazier
Level 4
Level 4

You need to set up VLAN 1 on the AP as the native VLAN and a corresponding VLAN 1 on the switch. The AP useS VLAN 1 for management traffic, no VLAN 1, no AP management. No need to associate an SSID with VLAN 1 as it's purely to manage the AP.

ok i'll give that a go now. I don't have any member ports on VLAN1 on the switch but I'll set the dot1q trunk to have have VLAN1 as the native VLAN. was a bit confused as to why i needed to have vlan1 on the trunk if no other ports are a member of that vlan. I was taught on CCNA not to use VLAN1, but I suppose if there's no member ports on the switch then it can't be a security issue.

I'll report back! thanks!

rtford31
Level 1
Level 1

Cisco best practices recommend setting up your native vlan on your network other than vlan1, which is the default native vlan. If you don't define explicitly a native vlan it will default to vlan1. Native VLans are always untagged.

If configured correctly the primary purpose of your native vlan in a multi vlan environment is to carry traffic between trunk ports. Unless you setup multiple cables (i.e. Fiber)between your switches and each cable is configured for a particular vlan - in order for data to travel over your trunk links it has to be carried on the native vlan and then separated out at the other side.

Dot1q and/or Inner-Switch Link (ISL) is the protocol that encapsulates packets on trunked ports.

In order for vlan 2, 3, 4 and 5 to traverse across your network the link between your switch(s) and APs must be configured as trunk ports.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card