cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Accessing 2800 router via Telnet/console

m-jankowski
Level 1
Level 1

I have a 2800 series router and I need to know how to access the configuration via telnet/console port. I was just informed I have access to the router, before it was leased and managed by Verizon.

Any suggestions are appreciated.

4 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

mohammedmahmoud
Level 11
Level 11

Hi,

In brief, to access the router via console, connect the console cable to your PC and configure the terminal as follows:

9600 baud

8 data bits

no parity

1 stop bits

As for the telnet access you need to know a reachable ip address from the router (an IP that you can ping from your PC) and issue telnet to that ip from your PC.

HTH,

Mohammed Mahmoud.

View solution in original post

Who is supposed to manage the router ? If they are, leave it alone. If you are, you can perform a password recovery.

Hi,

I don't think that Breaking the password is a nice thing, i think that you need to negotiate with them to give you the password, and you should agree on the editing/managing terms and rules.

HTH,

Mohammed Mahmoud.

9 Replies 9

mohammedmahmoud
Level 11
Level 11

Hi,

In brief, to access the router via console, connect the console cable to your PC and configure the terminal as follows:

9600 baud

8 data bits

no parity

1 stop bits

As for the telnet access you need to know a reachable ip address from the router (an IP that you can ping from your PC) and issue telnet to that ip from your PC.

HTH,

Mohammed Mahmoud.

OK I got into Telnet.. unfortunately Verizon has it pw protected and wont give me the log in information!!! Jerks. I have never had so much trouble with a company before, Verizon is probably THE WORST when it comes to customer service.

Who is supposed to manage the router ? If they are, leave it alone. If you are, you can perform a password recovery.

We are both supposed to manage it. Verizon says since they are leasing it than technically we can edit settings, but they don't seem to understand that I need the TACACS password.

Hi,

I don't think that Breaking the password is a nice thing, i think that you need to negotiate with them to give you the password, and you should agree on the editing/managing terms and rules.

HTH,

Mohammed Mahmoud.

That what I'll have to do.. does the telnet interface work exactly like the PDM CLI interface?

hi,

Yes nearly, and to telnet to the router, you'll just need to know a reachable ip (an ip that you can ping from your PC), and then issue "telnet ".

HTH,

Mohammed Mahmoud.

Yes.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card