Views
Helpful
Replies

Replication between Cisco ACS 3.3.3 and 4.0 or 4.1

omr123456
Level 1
Level 1

Hi friends

my customer has ASC ver. 3.3.3 as primary at windows server and secondary is new and ACS 4.0 is installed on it but is free from data.

Qes : they asking if we can replicate the database between primary acs 3.3.3 and secondary 4.0 then after that we remove primary from the network where the secondary will be primary ,we will upgrade 3.3.3 to 4.0 then will reconnect it to the network after testing.

that is only they want to avoid down time

plz give the best advise and solution

6 Replies 6

Richard Burts
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

I do not believe that this will work. My understanding is that replication in ACS checks to be sure that both machines are running the same version of ACS and will abort if they are not running the same version.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

akemp
Level 5
Level 5

The answer is no, you cannot automatically replicate between different versions, either major (3.x to 4.x) or point (3.3.3 to 3.3.4) releases, ACS server versions have to match.

There are also some major differences between the 3.x and 4.x data storage in that up to v3.x information is stored in the registry, whereas 4.x does not.

The best method to reach the end results you seek is to install the secondary as 3.3.3, replicate, then upgrade the primary to 4.x (I would suggest that you upgrade to 4.1.3 build 12 patch 2) as there are quite a few bugs between 4.0 and that release that have been vanquishd.. Finally after you have verified the functionality of the upgraded 3.3.3 primary box, slick it and do a clean install of 4.x and replicate it from the primary.

As a practice I never re-use an upgraded system in production... I upgrade the data on a box and replicate it to a newely installed box, that leaves fewer OS ghosts in the machine to contend with.

thanks guys for ur help

omr

darpotter
Level 5
Level 5

For replication to work the major and minor version numbers must match, so

3.3(3) to 3.3(4) is perfectly OK, but

3.2(x) to 3.3(x) isnt

This is because replication works simply by bulk copying the raw datafiles from one box to another. Had to write it like that to keep the downtime to an absolute minimum.

I stand corrected Darrin ! :)

One thing I failed to mention that is a "gotcha" : even if you version match on the application side, if you have windows 2000 on one server and windows 2003 on the other server, with V3.X they will not replicate due to the differences in the registry.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: