Views
Helpful
Replies

GEC - odd and even number of ports ?

e-chuah
Level 1
Level 1

Hi..

Must i use even number of GE ports (2,4,6 etc) when bundling them to form a GEC. If i bundle 3 GE ports together, will i get 3Gbps bandwidth ? Or GEC only works when grouping even number of ports together ?

Thanks

Eng Wee

4 Replies 4

Jon Marshall
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi Eng

No you don;t have to use even numbers of ports. If you group 3 gigbit ports together with etherchannel then you should get 3 Gbps throughput although there may be other restrictions on the switch/module that don't allow the full 3Gbps.

HTH

Jon

Amit Singh
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Eng,

I agree with Jon on this. I really doesnot matter using odd or even ports for GEC, you can use either of the ports and the aggregate bandwidth will be equal to the ports used in the budle subjected to the switch/module restrictions.

HTH,

-amit singh

Hi guys,

Thanks for the reply. I did a further search in CCO documents as well, what both of u said is true.

Hi @Amit Singh

I went through the CVD (August 2013) and on page number 31, Cisco clearly mentioned that

"Configure two or more physical interfaces to be members of the EtherChannel. It is recommended that they are
added in multiples of two."

What is your opinion?

Regards,

Deepak Kumar

Regards,
Deepak Kumar,
Don't forget to vote and accept the solution if this comment will help you!
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card