Views
Helpful
Replies

DMVPN without IPSec Encryption?

simonstoll
Level 1
Level 1

Hi

I need point-to-multipoint tunnels for a virtual overlay. Encryption is not necessary as the transport network is a corporate network and no internet. I also don't need the ability of direct spoke to spoke communication. At the moment I'm working with GRE point-to-point links, but the config on the HUB starts to look a bit crowded, so I would prefer a point to multipoint technology.

Any help is welcome, and a will be graded.

Best regards

Simon

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Yes, in fact it's enough to not configure "tunnel protection" under the tunnel interface and voila, crypto-less DMVPN.

Hope this helps, please rate post if it does!

View solution in original post

7 Replies 7

purohit_810
Level 5
Level 5

Hi Simon,

Here is the great document to configure DMVPN.

http://www.cisco.com/application/pdf/en/us/guest/products/ps6658/c1161/cdccont_0900aecd80313c97.pdf

Regards,

Dharmesh Purohit

Hi Dharmesh

Thanks, but the question is if that also works without IPSec? I don't want to add this unnecessary processing burden on the HUB router.

Simon

Yes, in fact it's enough to not configure "tunnel protection" under the tunnel interface and voila, crypto-less DMVPN.

Hope this helps, please rate post if it does!

kerek
Level 4
Level 4

Hi,

I think the DMVPN can be used without encryption. Take a look to this link: http://www.cisco.com/application/pdf/en/us/guest/products/ps6658/c1161/cdccont_0900aecd80313c9d.pdf

Hope it helps,

Krisztian

Hi

Thank you all for your help, I will now go to my lab and try it out. And thank you for this fast replies, I didn't even hade time to walk to the coffee machine!

I will grade you when it works :-)

Best regards

Simon

It will work.

Just don't do like us today spending a lot of time because the router was learning the tunnel destination address via routing inside the tunnel. P-t-p tunnel will warn you about, but a multipoint will not!

thanks for the nice rating and good luck!

It worked!!!

Now I have to change all my tunnels to GRE/mGRE with NHRP. Thank you so much, you saved my day. It was crazy how fast I got an answer on this forum today.

Simon

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card