cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Access to Cisco Catalyst 5505

jle
Level 1
Level 1

Hi eveybody, I bought myself via Ebay a Cisco 5505 for training purposes. Unfortunately the Switch is coming from a multinational company and has still a configuration with access to TACACS server installed. Nobody could give me the local administrator password.

But the biggest problem is that it looks like I can't access the console port ! Connecting a cable using standard cisco settings doesn't allow any access. No echo on my screen !

Does anybody know How I could get access to this Switch ? I do not need to worry about the actual configuration. I need a way to run a factory reset procedure.

The Switch is a Cisco Catalyst 5505, with 2x WS-X 5225R (10/100 Ethernet) and 1x WS-X 5530 Management.

Thanks for all help,

Jean-Luc

7 Replies 7

Amit Singh
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Jean,

Cat5505 has a different console port and you have to use a RJ45 straight through cable.

Please use the link below for password recovery on cat5505. Once you have the access to the box use the command " clear config all " to reset it to factory default config.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/switches/ps708/products_password_recovery09186a00801349aa.shtml

HTH,Please rate if it does.

-amit singh

Thanks for your help,

the straight cable is working. I thought I read something about different cabling somewhere but I couldn't find another cable within the whole cisco network to buy.

So I got the connection, but the Ciscio is never asking during bootup for a Password. I saw that after loading the bootimage bootflash .bin, I have a message Finish programming successfully Altera 10K50 SRAM EPLD.

Does this load a different system ?

thanks

If I remember well, during the first 30 seconds or the first minute the 5500 has no password. So login in the console, after the password prompt just type enter. You must have access to the main CLI, type enable and enter.

Now, as enable user change the password.

If it works, please let me know.

-as

Hi, unfortunately the system is never asking for a password, It always stays like this !

System Bootstrap, Version 5.1(2)

Copyright (c) 1994-1999 by cisco Systems, Inc.

Presto processor with 32768 Kbytes of main memory

Autoboot executing command: "boot bootflash:cat5000-sup3.5-5-21.bin"

Loading Network Management Processor image

Uncompressing file: ###########################################################

################################################################################

################################################################################

####################################

System Power On Diagnostics

NVRAM Size ...................512 KB

Testing ID Prom ..............Passed

DPRAM Size ...................16 KB

Testing DPRAM Data 0x55 ......Passed

Testing DPRAM Data 0xaa ......Passed

Testing DPRAM Address ........Passed

Clearing DPRAM ...............Done

System DRAM Memory Size ......32 MB

Testing DRAM Data 0x55 .......Passed

Testing DRAM Data 0xaa .......Passed

Testing DRAM Address .........Passed

Clearing DRAM ................Done

EARLIII ......................Present

Testing EARLIII RAM ..........Passed

Testing EARL Serial Prom .....Passed

Level2 Cache .................Present

Testing Level2 Cache .........Passed

Boot image: bootflash:cat5000-sup3.5-5-21.bin

Downloading epld sram device please wait ...

Programming successful for Altera 10K50 SRAM EPLD

Running System Diagnostics from this Supervisor (Module 1)

This may take up to 2 minutes....please wait

Cisco Systems Console

Braun GmbH, Marktheidenfeld

- Rechenzentrum (Core) -

Cisco Catalyst 5505

Hi,

I found in PDF an old procedure to reset passwords. It says the same about the "no-password" during the first 30 seconds.

http://www.net130.com/technic/password/pswdrec_6000.pdf

It is weird that it never prompts for a password. Have you tried to enter while it is booting? May be there is a hardware problem with your cat.

-as

Hi,

Also, I forgot to mention. Try to boot just with the supervisor. Remove all the cards but the supervisor. If it is a HW problem in any of the other cards you may be able to boot.

-as

Hi, thanks for this idea, but unfortunately i've tried this yesterday and I still have the same problem.

Does this mean the Supervisor Module has a problem ?

Is there no way to reset the Supervisor via the short-circuit or by booting via a flash card ?

thanks,

Jean-Luc

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card