cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

WS-X6748-GE-TX, WS-X6748-SPF and WS-X6724-SPF

arturo_servin
Level 1
Level 1

What are the architectural differences between the WS-X6748-GE-TX, WS-X6748-SPF and the WS-X6724-SPF (ports per ASICs, buffers Tx-Rx, fabric connections, etc.)? Also, if someone has information about the oversubscription rate of the cards it would be great.

Thanks,

-as

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Hi

I guess 6748 GE-TX for data center as it best supports 1000Mbps connections over ethernet media.

Where as the 6748-SFP or 6724-SFP modules gives you a choice to support a 1000BaseT or 1000Base SX of LX or ZX ports which will support fiber cable and which can typically be used at disctribution/core layer.

Regards,

Subhash.

View solution in original post

Hi

6748-SFP & 6724-SFP can be used in data centre for uplinks from access switches to distribution switches and distribution switches to core siwtches.

They can also be used for connecting blade chassis switches back to the distribution layer.

6748-GE-TX as you say primarily for servers in data centre but can also be used for connecting routers etc.

HTH

Jon

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Jon Marshall
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi

All modules need the Supervisor 720 although i guess you know that !.

The 6748 modules have dual 20Gbps connections to the switch fabric.

The 6724 has one 20Gbps connection to switch fabric.

So for the 48 ports blades they can run 48 x 1Gbps ports with a 40Gbps connection to the switch fabric.

The 24 port blade you can run 24 x 1Gb with a 20Gbps connection to the switch fabric.

So you do get oversubscription but nowhere near as bad as some of the other modules.

As for the buffers etc. rather than just cut and paste from the docs attached is a link for all the modules for the 6500. If you click on the relevant links you can get the stats from there.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/switches/ps708/products_relevant_interfaces_and_modules.html

HTH

Jon

Hi Jon,

Thank you for your answer and the link. I asked because Cisco recommend the WS-X6748-GE-TX for data center and server farm and the WS-X6748-SPF and the WS-X6724-SPF as High performance distribution and core layer. However I have not find very conclusive differences to support the Cisco?s statement. Do I missing some important fact(s)?

Thanks again,

as

Hi

I guess 6748 GE-TX for data center as it best supports 1000Mbps connections over ethernet media.

Where as the 6748-SFP or 6724-SFP modules gives you a choice to support a 1000BaseT or 1000Base SX of LX or ZX ports which will support fiber cable and which can typically be used at disctribution/core layer.

Regards,

Subhash.

Hi

6748-SFP & 6724-SFP can be used in data centre for uplinks from access switches to distribution switches and distribution switches to core siwtches.

They can also be used for connecting blade chassis switches back to the distribution layer.

6748-GE-TX as you say primarily for servers in data centre but can also be used for connecting routers etc.

HTH

Jon

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: