Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco switch .Your advice is needed !

T1success
Level 1
Level 1

Hi all!

Please i need to purchase a switch that has the following functionalities .

(a) Prevent broadcast issues

(b) Configurable for VLAN

(c) With securities fixtures

(d) Scalibility for future needs

Please what is your advice .

Should i go for the 2960 series or 3560.

I will be expecting your reply .

Regards

13 Replies 13

Edison Ortiz
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

If those are the only 2 choices, I would pick the 3560 since you get Layer3 features which you don't get with a 2960.

Thanks for your prompt reply.

If i have other considerations like

(a) Cost

(b) Other types of cisco switches

And configrations and support issues .

Which one should i go for .

I will appreciate yor sincere advise

2960 will be cheaper than 3560. If you dont need layer 3 features 2960 is the best choice. Configuration for both the boxes will kinda be same as both of them runs Cisco IOS software.

Dont' worry about support Cisco TAC is the best in this world :-) ( Also the Cisco Netpro Forum)

Also let us know you are looking for 24 or 48 port version with 10/100 or 10/100/1000 capability.

-amit singh

Amit Singh
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi,

It depends on what kind of scalability you are looking for in near future. 2960 can also meets all the first 3 requirements but for the 4th requirement you have to brief a little bit. 2960 also comes with 24 and 48 port versions and support almost all the layer 2 security features as supported by 3560.

As pointed out by Edison, that 3560 supports layer 3 routing and a lots of l3 ip routing related features.3560 is the obvious choice as suggested but based on the requirement.

HTH,

-amit singh

Thanks

How much does a 3560 and 2960 goes for?

Please note i have a 2811 router,that i intend connecting the switch to .

You said a " a lot of 13 ip realted features " can you please expalin further.

Please note that i intend using the switch in the HQ that supports other branches (i intend using a normal hub in these other branches).This other branches are conneected through DSL and FWA and they are on the same LAN i.e they use the same ip adrress range .

I just dont want to buy what i wont need and i dont want to under buy too.

Am waiting for your reply friend !

Regards

The price depend upon port density, type of ports (10/100/1000). Best to go to an online Cisco reseller such as cdw.com and enter "3560 switch" or "2960 switch" and you will find prices on both - depending on your needs.

As for the Layer3 features, the 3560 enables you to configure the switch as a router. You can create multiple Vlans in Layer2 and Layer3 - which enables you to forward traffic from one Vlan to another without the need of an external router. The communication between Vlans would be Layer3 switched with a line rate speeds while with a Layer2 switch such as the 2960, you would need a router to forward information between Vlans and the speed would be limited to the speed from the router to the switch (max 1Gbps shared).

Thanks so much

Please read the previous post that i sent to the other respondent asingh2 .

The quest for a switch actually began due to severall ISP(that provide intranet link) i have on my plain switch which lead to some broadcast issues .

Is there any way i could solved this broadcast issues on my 2811 router without buying another interface on my router ,i.e maybe using a command to eliminate broadcast issues and stuff like that .

If there is ,i think there will be no need for a switch now .

From your expalnations i think i already have some biases for the 3560 series but my concern is that it will only be deployed at the HQ ,which i think will lead to UNDER UTILISATION OF ITS CAPACITY

Thanks so much .I am grateful

What kind of broadcast issue are you experiencing ?

Having a multi-layer switch such as 3560 can help you on properly configuring your broadcast domain into smaller segments and route between these segments as needed.

No need to have a large broadcast domain if you were to implement a Layer2 only solution.

This is the broadcast issue

I have three ISP's connected to my switch (the three ISP are just to provide connectivity from the head office to the different branches ) .

Assume the ISP's are A,B and C

This is the issue ,if the three ISP's are connetced together(A,B and C) ,one of them (ISP B) will be timing out which means branches conneted via this ISP B will be down .

But if I remove ISP C from the network , ISP A and ISP B will be up.

I hope my explanation is clear enough.

What type of switch are you using to terminate these connections ? Can you post the config ?

Did you create a Vlan for each ISP on the switch ?

In addition to the configs as requested by Edison, I would request you to attach some network topology for your HQ as well.

-amit singh

I am going for the the 3560.(Catalyst 3560 24 10/100 + 2 SFP Standard

Image (WS-C3560-24TS-S))

What advantage do i stand with this model.

The SFP (small form factor).What advantage is SFP IF I DONT INTEND TO USE FIBRE IN MY NETWORK ENVIRONMENT.

I will be expecting your reply.

Regards

SFP is not only for fiber connection but you can also purchase a SFP that support copper connections.

The advantage of having the SFP is that you can choose and change the media type on a modular basis. When you buy a fixed switch, you are stuck with the port that came from the manufacturer.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: