cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

vlan priority or qos question

rhopkins_nci
Level 1
Level 1

Not sure what term is used, qos or priority, but I wanted to give a vlan priority over the others. I am setting up a vlan for video conferencing, how do I go about assigning it a higher priority? Do I set it at the interface or vlan levels? Do I need to set it at the trunk too? How does the priority level work, does a lower number as in 2 have a higher priority or vica versa? Thanks in advance.

4 Replies 4

Jon Marshall
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi

Dpending on your switch you can use per vlan priority or per port priority or per flow priority. It's a little more complicated thna just using a priority number as you will need a QOS configuration on your switch.

What type of switch do you have ?

Jon

Its a catalyst 4503 sup II plus TS (WSx4013+TS), and I will have a trunk to a catalyst 3560. Will the same cmds work on the 3560? Thanks Jon.

Unfortunately because Catalyst switches support QOS in hardware the configuration changes between switches and the 3560 and 4500 use different commands to achieve roughly the same thing.

They will also have slightly different QOS capabilities.

What i would recommend is have a look at the configuration guides for your 4500 and your 3560 with respect to QOS and then come back with further questions.

Jon

No problem, thanks for the info Jon.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: