cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

1801 Locked down. Recoverable?

tb150003tb8425
Level 1
Level 1

I have an 1801 that has the break key disabled and Password Recovery Disabled. I don't mind loosing the config by clearing nvram but I can't seem to find any way of clearing it from the console

3 Replies 3

jan.nielsen
Level 7
Level 7

That's because you can't....otherwise those features would be useless.

Note: The break key is always enabled for the first 60 seconds after the router is reloaded or powered on (during the boot sequence), irrespective of the state of the eighth bit in the configuration register. If you disable or enable the break key through the configuration register, the router is affected only during normal operation, and not during the boot sequence.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/routers/ps359/products_tech_note09186a00800949b5.shtml

Actually Jan you are wrong. I discovered the following and it worked.

do cold boot, don't "break" yet, see message "PASSWORD RECOVERY FUNCTIONALITY IS DISABLED, still don't "break" yet, see image decompressing, still don't "break" yet, see Cisco IOS Version ... copyright ... compiled Tue 21-Mar-01 ... Image text-base: 0x80008088 ...

2) BREAK NOW

3) see:

PASSWORD RECOVERY IS DISABLED.

Do you want to reset the router to factory default config [y/n] YES

(enter YES)

4) router boots but acts like you just entered the "no service password-recovery" command, and it asks:

Are you sure you want to continue? [yes/no] NO

(enter NO)

5) Lets you into privileged mode and the startup-config is still okay.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: