CCNA Home Lab Equipment

Unanswered Question
Jul 23rd, 2007

I am trying to put together my CCNA home lab, and I am thinking about going with the following: 2620 x3 with ver 12.x and 2950 x2. But I am unsure what type of Serial cards I need in order to configure DTE/DCE cabling.

Thank you for your feed back.

I have this problem too.
0 votes
Overall Rating: 0 (0 ratings)
jrensink78 Tue, 07/24/2007 - 12:52

I would pass on the 2620 routers. I know they are cheap, but they don't support the current version of IOS. Probably want to look at the 3640 routers. For a serial card, go for the NM-4A/S.

Personally, I just used the simulator programs for my CCNA studies. I purchased books from Cisco Press and Sybex that came with stripped down simulators from Boson. For the few simulator-type questions that I got in the exams, that was good enough for me.

I have not found a good simulator yet that covered all the commands.

I have 3 2600 routers with the latest IOS's.

What commands can they not handle for the present CCNA exam?

I can not remember what WIC card had serial connection but you can look it up. The 2600's are great becuase they are modual and not so expensive. You will need to upgrade when you go for your higher tests but they should be great for your CCNA. Always go live hardware. There is no replacement for the real hardware. Do not be the idiot that can not plug into a router or switch becuase you never saw a real one. Also troubleshooting a real problem is a great way to learn how to fix something. Good luck friend

I would skip physical equipment for the CCNA as you only need experience with the command set and getting familiar with the feel of IOS. Below is a link to a great emulator that you can use to fit your needs. You have all the abilities needed and you will see allot of CCIE level studies based off of this platform as well which says tons for what it can do.

http://www.internetworkexpert.com/resources/iosonpc.htm

Actions

This Discussion