Views
Helpful
Replies

Balancing etherchannel

pccthailand
Level 1
Level 1

Hi

Can i use etherchannel aggregate-port learner to load-balancing with src or dsc MAC-address ? Should i change to physical-port learner ?

Thanks

4 Replies 4

Jon Marshall
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi

Yes you can use aggregate-port learner and this is the default on most switches. Aggregate-port learner can use any of the physical interfaces within the etherchannel to send the traffic ie. it doesn't care which physical interface it came in on.

HTH

Jon

Pavel Bykov
Level 5
Level 5

If you use normal etherchannel, you can use the following command to choose balancing technique:

(config)# port-channel load-balance {src-mac | dst-mac | src-dst-mac | src-ip | dst-ip | src-dst-ip | src-port | dst-port | src-dst-port}

Depending on the platform , not all options have to be present.

Related document:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/switches/lan/catalyst2950/software/release/12.1_9_ea1/configuration/guide/swethchl.html#wp1040929

pccthailand
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Jon

if i select aggregate port-learner methods for balance traffic , the switch will not forward or recieve the frame on the same physical link ? if i would like to fwd or rcv on the same physical, i should select physical port-learner ?

thanks

Hi

With aggregate port-learner you don't care which physical link in the eherchannel the switch uses.

If you would like to fwd and rcv on same interface yes you can look at physical port-learner.

You don't say which switch you are using. For example you can influence which port is used in an etherchannel on a 3550 by using the pagp port-priority command. I've included a link to the 3550 config guide which does a good job of explaining the difference.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/switches/lan/catalyst3550/software/release/12.1_4_ea1/configuration/guide/swethchl.html

One thing to be aware of. Etherchannel is designed to load balance traffic across a number of physical links. If you start specifying which port can send which traffic you can go too far with this and kind of negate the whole idea of using an etherchannel.

HTH

Jon

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: