cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

857W used with a non-cisco Cable modem

JuanCandon
Level 1
Level 1

I'm trying to setup a 857W router to get an IP address(DHCP) from my Cable Modem connected in one of the ethernet ports.

Not sure if I can do it with this router.

Or maybe I am wrong doing the routing part.

Can someone help with the issue.

Cheers,

Juan.

8 Replies 8

paolo bevilacqua
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Connect FA4 to the cable modem.

Then, do you know how to connect using a console cable and configure the router ?

Hi,

I have the router connected to the Cable Modem in the FA0. I can connect it to the FA3 if you want, but I guess it will not make any difference.

I can access to the router throught the SDM interface or by telnet or console cable. The problem is I don't know if this router supports what I want to do. Or maybe the configuration is wrong.

Do want me to send you the config, file?

Regards, Juan.

Hi,

Graeme is correct, I had confused the models. You cannot do what you want with the 857W. you will need an 851W or 871W, the latter is better because it supports QoS and VLANs that you may need at some pint.

graemeporter
Level 1
Level 1

Juan,

The 857W has an integrated ADSL WAN interface; it is designed to connect to an ADSL line.

The 851W is the equivelant router to use that features a 10/100 Fast Ethernet WAN interface; you can connect that into your Cable Modem and that ought to work for you.

Hope this helps!

Kind regards,

Graeme

Hi, Graemeporter

I don't want to buy another router. Is there a way/trick to do what I'm trying without buying another router?

As well, I have a d-link router that is working perfect with the cable modem. If I cannot use my Cisco 857W to connect to the cable modem. Can you help me on configuring routing between the 857w router and the D-LINk one?

Thanks in advance,

Juan.

Juan,

It's not the cable modem that is causing the issue; the problem is that the 857W has the wrong WAN interface.

If you bought the router new, you may be able to return it and exchange it. Sorry; it's just not the right tool for the job.

The ADSL interface is expecting to connect to a DSLAM over an ADSL line; neither your D-Link device nor your Cable Modem have the equipment required to provide the ADSL interface with what it needs to work.

The router needs to have a Fast Ethernet WAN interface to work. The 851W is the right router for you in this case.

Kind regards,

Graeme

Hi Graeme,

Thanks for your reply.

I used to use the 857w with my old ADSL connection, now I have swap to Cable connection and I'd like to use my 857w.

As I told you before, I have a D-link with a Fastethrnet WAN port and is getting the IP address from the cablemodem and I can browse internet. I have plug my 857w to one of the LAN ports in the D-link router and works fine if i use bridge. But I want to do vlan routing between the dotRadio0.2 interface and the D-link router(connected to the 857w Fastethenet ports) instead of bridging.

Would you mind to show me how to setup my CIsco 857w to routing from the wireless interface toward the D-link router?

I can send you config files if you need.

Kind Regards,

Juan.

Hi,

Graeme is correct, you cannot use the 857w for routing because it does have an ethernet "wan" port.

It also does not support VLANs, so the only thing you can do is to use is an access point. This is done placing both radio and vlan1 interface under bridge-group 1.

Hope this helps, please rate post if it does!

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card