cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco 857 adsl connection problems

kayasaman
Level 1
Level 1

Hi guys, first up I would like to say thanks for sorting out my dhcp issues in the getting started with LANS part of the forum!

I have an issue now with my adsl connection. I have set up the dialer 0 and atm 0 interfaces according to this guide:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/tech/tk175/tk15/technologies_configuration_example09186a008071a601.shtml

and have supplied my ISP settings:

VPI 0

VCI 38

Encapsulation VC/MUX or VC Based

Protocol PPPoA

Mode G.DMT

Authentication CHAP

Preferred MTU 1500 (or as close to as possible)

I have supplied my config as txt file.

Again I'm very new to Cisco so please take things step by step.

Many thanks!

48 Replies 48

kayasaman
Level 1
Level 1

Sorry....... issue is that it's not connecting to ISP and I have no internet access :-(

Hi,

please send output of "show atm pvc 0/38" and "term mon" "debug ppp neg".

Here are the outputs of the atm pvc and debug ppp. I typed in term mon but it didn't come up with anything so I'm guessing it turned on terminal monitor or something?

(again I'm brand new to Cisco so I'm having to learn step by step!)

Hi, PVC 0/38 does not receive packets. Please check that you have the right number, and the ADSL port is connected, do check "show dsl interface". And yes, "term mon" enables the telnet terminal to monitor debug and other system events.

It says: line has not been activated yet

I didn't put any config into the atm0 interface interms of pvc, chap authentication, mtu, and line encapsulation, as all my ISP data went to the dialer0 interface which I thought dialled through the atm0. If I am mistaken then will I have to rebuild the atm0 interface with the info from the dialer0 interface?

Ok rectifying my statement since I think I'm getting myself confused: "I didn't put any config into the atm0 interface interms of pvc, chap authentication, mtu, and line encapsulation"

I used these commands:

Router(config)#interface atm 0

Router(config-if)#pvc

Router(config-if-atm-vc)#encapsulation aal5mux ppp dialer

Router(config-if-atm-vc)#dialer pool-member 1

Router(config-if-atm-vc)#no shut

Router(config-if-atm-vc)#end

Router#configure terminal

Router(config)#interface dialer 1

Router(config-if)#ip address negotiated

Router(config-if)#no ip directed-broadcast

Router(config-if)#ip nat outside

Router(config-if)#encapsulation ppp

Router(config-if)#dialer pool 1

Router(config-if)#ppp chap hostname

Router(config-if)#ppp chap password

#Router(config-if)#ppp pap sent-username password # I excluded this one!

Router(config-if)#end

Router#configure terminal Router(config)#ip route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 dialer1 Router(config)#end

Router#configure terminal Router(config)#ip nat inside source list 1 interface dialer1 overload

As for my line, it works fine with an ordinary consumer modem - so I really don't know where the problem is :-(

Hi, that is all good, you also need "ppp authentication chap callin" under "in dialer1" and "ip nat inside" under interface vlan1, anyway, check output of "show int atm0" and "show dsl interface" to check line up and passing a packets.

I used the command: router(config)#interface dialer 0

router(conf-if)#ppp authentication chap callin

but it still doesn't work after switching my line from old router - it keeps saying line protocol is down?

What I'm telling you is that unless line is up as shown by "shot int atm0" and "show dsl interface", nothing will work. It may be a compatibility problem with the DSLAM. There is firmware available to correct this at:

ftp://ftp.cisco.com/pub/access/800/

Hope this helps, please rate post if it does!

Thanks for that, sorry for being slow!

However the link you gave me keeps coming out with "connection refused"?

No problem. ASIK, the cisco ftp is working fine.

Do I have to be subscribed specially for it (as in not guest access)? as I've just tried from 2 web browsers and Filezilla FTP app and same prob..

Ignore last post I got in - I think my computers playing up. Sorry!

No subscription necessary for that URL that is public and free.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: