cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Transmit Only operation with an SFP

jscrane
Level 1
Level 1

I have to setup a one-way UDP connection between two routers using fiber. I am currently using separate tranceivers to make the one-way connection. I would like to use the SFPs in my 3750 L3 switch to make the connection, but the interfaces will not come up unless they are connected bi-directionally (both fibers). Is there a parameter/configuration that will make the SFP transmit without a receive signal?

2 Replies 2

gmarogi
Level 5
Level 5

I think you have to Use only SFPs certified for use in Cisco Optical Networking Systems. SFPs are integrated fiber optic transceivers that provide high-speed serial links from a port or slot to the network. For more information please click following URL:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/optical/ps4533/products_technical_reference_chapter09186a008072b926.html#wp327205

Thank you for the response and the link. I also heard back from my local Cisco engineer, and as I had surmised, SFPs are not capable of doing one-way traffic - just not built that way - never intended to be - so I will use my "dumb" tranceivers for this application.