cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

i cant configure ospf in 4507 switch

mnisaf123
Level 1
Level 1

when i try to configure ospf on 4507 switch i cant get router-if mode.i enable ip routing also but result same.I can configure rip on same box.

the ios on the box is: cat4500-ipbase-mz.122-31.SG1.bin

7 Replies 7

ankbhasi
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Friend,

The image which you are running does not support OSPF and some advance routing protocols. You need to run enterprises version for the same.

cat4500-entservices-mz.122-31.SG1.bin

You can use Feature Navigator tool to find your requirements in future

http://tools.cisco.com/ITDIT/CFN/jsp/index.jsp

HTH

Ankur

*Pls rate all helpfull post

Hello There,
I also had the same Problem,i used to have 4507-E switch running OSPF properly until my switch restarts yesterday and after that OSPF could not came up. here is my image. i tried EIGRP and it works. 
 bootflash:cat4500es8-universalk9.SPA.03.08.01.E.152-4.E1.bin

Amit Singh
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

In addition to Ankur's post, the most important part is to check the Sup engine that you are running on Cat4500. On Cat4500 only Sup4,5 and 5-10GE sup engine are the layer 3 capable. All other sup engines like Sup2+-TS, Sup2+, Sup2+-10GE are layer 2 only. To run OSPF you need a layer 3 capable Supengine and also the image which can run advanced routing protocol.

Please paste the show module from the switch.

Please see the link below for more info:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/switches/ps4324/products_data_sheet0900aecd803fae7d.html

HTH,Please rate if it does.

-amit singh

Amit,

I think the SupII+ and the 10GE version are layer 3 capable but are limited to static routing and RIP.

I do agree with you and Ankur that we need enterprise image for advanced routing protocol support

Narayan

Narayan,

Check Amit's link. It describes the 'enhanced layer2' capabilities which in reality are slim down layer3 capabilities.

It does support EIGRP stub in addition to RIP as dynamic routing protocol.

Narayan,

I know that these sup supports basic L3 routing. But that statement I made was in refrence to the OSPF capabilities. As mentioned by Edison, they support EIGRP stub as well along with basic routing and RIP support.

-amit singh

Hi Narayan

Amit is right that ospf is not supported.

However to confirm the features supported one could also go to software advisor and select your hardware device and the feature that you wish to configure.

If it supports ,it will be listed the feature list wherein you can select and it will suggest the supported ios .

regards,

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: