Views
Helpful
Replies

3750G oversubscription question

cisconoobie
Level 2
Level 2

Can someone please clarify this for me.

If I have 3 x 24port 3750G switches connected in a stack. This equals 24ports x 3 = 72 gigabit ports.

If the backplane is 32Gb, does this mean I have 72:32 oversubscription ?

Or am I wrong here with the 3750G switches?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

mchoo2005
Level 1
Level 1

You're right. Presuming all ports on all switches are operating at 1Gbps, you have 1:2.25 oversubscription ratio at the backplane. In most cases, this shouldn't present any issue though. I mean, I've worked with large server farms with oversubscription ratio greater than 1:16 without any perceived problems.

If you want full non-blocking, you can use Cat4948, but you can't stack this platform. Alternatively, you can use Cat6500 for high-density wire-rate GigE. Don't think about Cat4500 though. Its architecture is pretty poor (6Gbs per slot).

View solution in original post

1 Reply 1

mchoo2005
Level 1
Level 1

You're right. Presuming all ports on all switches are operating at 1Gbps, you have 1:2.25 oversubscription ratio at the backplane. In most cases, this shouldn't present any issue though. I mean, I've worked with large server farms with oversubscription ratio greater than 1:16 without any perceived problems.

If you want full non-blocking, you can use Cat4948, but you can't stack this platform. Alternatively, you can use Cat6500 for high-density wire-rate GigE. Don't think about Cat4500 though. Its architecture is pretty poor (6Gbs per slot).

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card