cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Can I add a capture port to a port-channel?

tlandeis
Level 1
Level 1

We have an IDS appliance that we want to send server farm traffic to. We tried to set three capture ports, add them to a port channel, with the idea that we would aggregate the traffic onto a 3 Gig link. However, the result was three individual streams of the same traffic. The switch accepted the config, but didn't seem to aggregate the traffic.

Should this work? I know we can configure our VACL to limit the traffic, but since we have the IDS ports, we'd rather see it.

2 Replies 2

Amit Singh
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

You cannot have a SPAN destination as an ether-cahhanel group. Its not supported. Please give us a little idea on how is the network topology and the switches used along with the config.

-amit singh

Hello Amit,

I'm answering this for Tom Landeis, the original poster from Safeco. We have a 6509E running 12.2(18)SXE4 that we want to configure as capture ports. These ports are connected directly to an IDS (Intrusion Detection System). We want traffic from 3 different vlans to go to that IDS device.

Currently each port is configured as a capture port and sending traffic for 1 vlan to the IDS device. Each port is sending traffic for a different vlan. This is inefficient, because 1 of the vlans is much busier than the other 2. So it would make sense to create a port-channel for those 3 ports and send all 3 vlans worth of traffic across the port-channel, rather than individual ports. Can you set the port-channel as switchport capture, and leave the individual ports as access ports? Thanks,

Dave Magorty

Network

Safeco Insurance Company

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card