new 642-901 - what equipment do i really need ?

Unanswered Question
Jul 24th, 2007

i currently have (2) 2501 routers & (2) 2924 switches. is this no longer enough?

do i have to sell these and get (4) 2811 routers and something else like suggested by cisco lab?

can i just add to this equipment? are 2811's really necessary? they seem to be expensive on ebay. what about 2600? 3600?

is my current equip & dynamips enough?

maybe current equip & just rack rental?

i don't mind spending the $, but only if i have to. will be studying for the new ccnp tests. 642-901 first, then bcmsn.

many thanks, everyone!

I have this problem too.
0 votes
Overall Rating: 0 (0 ratings)
eriknixon Tue, 07/24/2007 - 20:53

I took the BCSI and passed with a 966 using just dynamips. NO need for anything else. For BCMSN i rented some rack time from

jrensink78 Wed, 07/25/2007 - 12:13

If you want physical routers, try the 3640 model. You're mainly looking to get something to run the current IOS on. I too was perplexed that Cisco recommended all 2811 ISR routers for the BCSI lab. There are definitely cheaper alternatives. But I think the ISR routers come into play on some of the other CCNP tests.

jlhainy Wed, 07/25/2007 - 16:42

Actually, the new CCNA tests also are big on the ISR routers and are now testing on the SDM gui interface as well.

nirmalsoni Thu, 07/26/2007 - 07:00

I did pass my exam using dynamips,Except i was not able to go on with Multi casting..But everything hey works great,,Route redistribution

Ospf Eigrp BGP ISIS, wonderful, but when u increase the routers the only thing is it will take some time to converge..Well i guess this can be solved having a Good configuration home computer with higher memory and RAM

dragon919 Thu, 07/26/2007 - 08:15

Hm. I guess I'll try to get by with what I have and Dynamips, which has been good also. It emulates the 3640 too and of course the 7200.

Any recent CCNP know when/if we'd need the 2811s? Thanks

Hi Dragon,

May I make some suggestion, even you don't mind spending the $.

Your current equipments in your home lab already can do most of the basic features in IGP/BGP Routing already. If you don't mind just borrow a 26xx from your vendo and for you to trying some advance features simply. First, you'd better upgrade all your IOS and then try ALL command that the home lab can do even it is not in CCNP syllabus, if you come across some command don't know, just browse the cisco doc or post in this forum.

For the advanced features, I suggest you to use simulator (like dynamicip, Boson etc) or rent it from rack rental with friends/ not alone.

I prefer you to get familiar your home lab, you will get more practical and useful to understand Cisco Networking.

This Discussion