cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Call Manager Express - user passwords plain text

v-yelmene
Level 1
Level 1

Is there anyway to encrypt or not display username passwords in the Call Manager CLI?

4 Replies 4

paolo bevilacqua
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

What is your concern ?

Only the administrator is supposed to be able to look at the router config.

I work for a University. If the faculty knew I could see their passwords, it could be a big problem.

AJAZ NAWAZ
Level 5
Level 5

Enabling Secret and Encrypt Passwords

The Enable password is presented in cleartext to provide access control to privileged EXEC mode of the router. Use Enable Secret to encrypt the enable password.

The following example illustrates this configuration:

enable secret secretword1

no enable password

The enable secret command takes precedence over the enable password command if both are configured; they cannot be used simultaneously.

To increase security access, passwords can be encrypted to prevent any unauthorized users from viewing the passwords when packets are examined by protocol analyzers:

The following example illustrates this configuration:

Service password-encryption

<http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/sw/voicesw/ps4625/products_implementation_design_guide_chapter09186a00805f07a8.html>

hth

Ajaz

Ajaz,

My concern regards the Telephony-Service ephone configurations. My router passwords are encrypted as you stated.

thanks,

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: