cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Inbound Internet QoS

nathanritsch
Level 1
Level 1

My company accesses WAN web applications (webmail) over a DMVPN tunnel. A problem with this is that normal Internet traffic can consume the entire circuit and then the corporate webmail becomes really slow. I decided to make a QoS policy to protect the DMVPN traffic. Creating the outbound policy was very simple. I made a CBWFQ policy and applied it outbound to the outside interface. The problem with this is that the Internet link typically congests inbound, not outbound. I did some research and found a couple of solutions.

One: Police non-DMVPN inbound traffic from the Internet to leave room for the DMVPN traffic. The problem with this solution is that now the Internet traffic cannot spike to full circuit speed when there is no DMVPN traffic.

Two: Request the ISP to provide QoS for ESP traffic destined to us. I was hoping to find a solution that I could apply to our router so that we could deploy the solution to all of our DMVPN sites without having to negotiate with each ISP to configure QoS policies.

Three: Tunneling all Internet access through regional hubs. This solution isn't an efficient use of bandwidth; however, I see the benefits of being able to centralize security devices.

So I played around a little bit and came up with another solution.

Create an outbound QoS policy on the inside interface of the router. (It has to be an outbound QoS policy to allow for queuing QoS methods.)

The trick is that you first have to shape down the traffic to match the download rate of the Internet circuit so that the interface can reach congestion. In fact, I decided to shape the traffic to 90 percent of the maximum download rate so that I knew my router was dropping the packets before the ISP. Then I created a policy within that shaped policy to apply my queuing based QoS.

For simplicity I am just tagging packets to DSCP 21 at the DMVPN head end and then using WRED as the queuing policy at the remote site.

Sample:

policy-map wred_in

class class-default

fair-queue

random-detect dscp-based

!

policy-map qos_in

class class-default

shape average [BANDWIDTH * .9 kbps]

service-policy wred_in

!

int [INSIDE INT]

service-policy output qos_in

So far the results have been very positive. Before applying this policy we were experiencing slowness with our webmail. We have been running this code for months now and it hasn't been slow since. When I look at the policy-map stats I see more DSCP 0 packets being dropped than DSCP 21. I have also added some tweaks to the WRED queue sizes because I wanted the policy to react faster to bursts of traffic.

I'm looking for comments and suggestions. Has anyone else found ways to deal with inbound QoS on an Internet pipe?

1 Reply 1

jwdoherty
Level 1
Level 1

I've done the same (or similar), and as you noticed, it does work. The two major disadvantages were the need to artificially shape slower than the inbound link and how far you might have to shape down to avoid queuing on the far side. I recall starting at 90% but had to keep working my way down to fully control inbound traffic. Think I had to get down to about 60%. (This might have a been influenced by the size or our links and how busy they were.)

Another technique I tried was shaping outbound TCP ACKs. The purpose of this was to attempt to keep TCP bandwidth hogs from being extremely bursty. It too worked, it could also be used with the inbound shaping. However, it was very sensitive. Much to do with delayed ACKs and/or piggybacked ACKs, I suspect.

In our case, I believe the truly correct solution is to manage the traffic at the real bottleneck, which our ISPs were unwilling to do. The above techniques allow you do at least have some control.

Something you might consider is separate circuits for regular Internet vs. VPN Internet. Often DSL or cable Internet is a low cost option that can be used to support ordinary Internet access without breaking the budget.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card