Views
Helpful
Replies

2801 USB interface

vincent-n
Level 3
Level 3

Hi all.

I looked but could not find any information on what's the use of the USB interface on my 2801 router. I saw something about Cisco USB memory module and eToken by Aladdin. Is this interface restricted to Cisco and Aladdin only? Thanks.

17 Replies 17

mchoo2005
Level 1
Level 1

USB interface on ISRs (2800, 3800) can be used to plug in a USB memory stick to upgrade IOS, backup config, etc. As soon as you plug a USB memory stick into it, IOS automatically detects it and makes the device available for writing into. It's a fantastic addition to the router platform. Cisco should've done this a long time ago. Now... if only they include USB interface on ALL of their products...

Thanks for the reply. Where can I find information on how to use this USB interface for copying IOS and config file?

No special information is needed. The device name is usbflash0: or usbflash1: and is accepted in all the copy commands as source or destination.

If needed, you can use the USBFLash to boot the router IOS too.

Cheers!

May be that I'm missing something here but I cannot see usbxxxx anywhere when I do:

copy run ? I'm currently running 12.4(9)T. Could this be the problem?

mohammedmahmoud
Level 11
Level 11

Hi,

The Cisco 2800 provides two USB ports that can be used with USB Flash memory modules as secondary storage, similar to CompactFlash Disks. The USB Flash memory modules can be used to store Cisco IOS images, data, and configuration files.

USB eToken and USB Flash Features Support

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/ps6247/products_qanda_item0900aecd80232483.shtml

USB Flash Memory Module Specifications:

64-MB USB Flash Token1 for Cisco 1800/2800/3800/7200: MEMUSB-64FT=

12- MB USB Flash Token for Cisco 1800/2800/3800/7200: MEMUSB-128FT=

Note The Cisco USB Flash memory module cannot be used to boot the router. The USB drivers exist only in Cisco IOS software, not ROM Monitor mode (ROMmon). As a result, a Cisco IOS image must be booted to load the drivers; only then can files be copied to and from the USB Flash memory module.

HTH,

Mohammed Mahmoud.

Thanks for the reply. Am I right then that the USB interface would support ONLY Cisco USB memory or can I use just any kind of USB memory module in this interface?

Hi,

Yes, the USB port only supports Cisco's USB memory, and you can't just use any USB flash, as only the driver of the Cisco USB is there in the Cisco IOS.

HTH,

Mohammed Mahmoud.

UBSFLASH can boot an IOS. Just make sure the ROM monitor has correct version. Its tested!

Cheers!

Hi,

Actually any good brand works,so far I've tried Sony and others, the last I'tried doesn't even got a brand name but it is nice as it lights up.

Yeah! This where cisco has its KEY! I have tried 3rd part USB flash, but no luck.

Only Cisco USB Flash boots up an IOS.

Still you can use 3rd part usbflash for ios upgrade or for backup purposes as you wish...

Cheers!

Hi Paolo,

Weird !! Actually i did try many vendors USBs, they all light up but i get the following error:

*Jul 26 11:33:30.151: %USB_HOST_STACK-6-USB_DEVICE_CONNECTED: A Full speed USB device has been inserted in port 1.

*Jul 26 11:33:30.843: %USBFLASH-5-CHANGE: usbflash1 has been inserted!

*Jul 26 11:33:35.007: %USB_HOST_STACK-6-USB_FLASH_READY_TEST_TIME: USB flash 'Ready' test time over 4 seconds.

*Jul 26 11:33:35.007: %USB_HOST_STACK-3-USB_FLASH_READY_TEST_FAILED: USB flash failed to pass 'Ready' test.

*Jul 26 11:33:35.007: %USBFLASH-3-DEVSTARTSTOP: usbflash1 MSCD_StartStop failure in usbflash_mscd_scsi_listener!

BR,

Mohammed Mahmoud.

Maybe some brands are better than others. I have this one that works fine, it has medi@com "brand".

bws-cme#sh usbflash0: all

-#- --length-- -----date/time------ path

1 41949976 Jun 19 2007 16:06:12 c3825-advipservicesk9-mz.124-11.XJ3.bin

994000896 bytes available (45367296 bytes used)

******** USB Flash Geometry/Format Info ********

USB CARD GEOMETRY

Sector Size 512

Total Sectors 2030592

USB CARD FORMAT

Number of FATs 2

Number of Sectors per FAT 247

Sectors Per Cluster 32

Number of Clusters 63438

Number of Data Sectors 2030016

Logical Base FAT Sector 1

Logical Base Root Sector 495

Logical Base Data Sector 527

I managed to get the router to recognise a Corsair USB device. This time the extra commands appear such as:

Routerc2801#sho usb?

usb usbflash0:

but when I do:

sho usbf filesys, the router spit out error message

%Error show usbflash0: (Invalid DOS media or no media in slot)

I think that I have to do a format of the filesystem right? Is the command "format usbflash0:" the right way to go?

If I do this format, I'm guessing that the USB device will no longer be accessible on my PC right? How do I get it back to the original file system that's recognisable by my PC? Is it simply plug it into my PC and reformat with FAT file system?

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card