Views
Helpful
Replies

Help on choosing the correct Cisco Management software

arumugasamy
Level 1
Level 1

Dear All,

Could u give me the correct NMS software to manage ASA5520, CAT switches,and CSS 11503 to be managed all together using that management software.

Thanks

swami

7 Replies 7

akemp
Level 5
Level 5

It depends on several factors:

1. How many total devices ?

2. What operating systems and platforms do you have reliable support for in your company ?

3. Budget ?

If you could answer those few questions a few options can be suggested.

Dear Kemp,

Devices = less than 50

Op sys = Windows

Budget = Govt concern. No limit.

CWLMS ok ?

swami

A single server installation of Ciscoworks LMS 3.0 would do wonders for your organization. The new Ciscoworks Assistant brings into a single pane all the information about a device (configurations, error messages, known bugs with that particular version of software, any PSIRT alerts, etc)

It can email you when errors occur, take automated actions, and can keep track of all devices that connect to your managed infrastructure. Perfomance monitoring via IPSLA built into your devices for about any service or protocol you can define.

It integrates well with HP Openview Network Node Manager (for that wonderful tiered Manager of Manager scenario)

If you're Cisco only for your network equipment its a wonderful thing to have. (of course I'm biased... I have over 5,500 Cisco routers, switches, and access points) to watch 24x7.

I promised a couple of solutions and was remiss in my last response.

Since you are in a government location, I'll omit the public domain options as they prefer dealing with companies and support options.

Solarwinds Orion is a good option, as well as OpNet.

Both just love to poll snmp MIBs, and do a pretty good job, they just don't do everything Ciscoworks LMS does.

My suggestion is to two lists: The first one is what you'd like the product to be able to do, the next is what each companies' products claim to do.

This forum would be a good place to ask about how easy it would be to implement the things you'd like each to do, some are quick and easy, some are really involved and nasty. No perfect product exists.

Dear,

What about the css11503 content switch to be managemeed?

swami

jimmyc_2
Level 1
Level 1

We are looking at NetQoS and OpNet. We've got a good handle on NetQOS; it looks strong. Does anyone have an opinion on Opnet as a management tool? We know it does great simulations, but I think their ASE does management as well.

Also, how is the Opnet customer response time?

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: