cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Stickyness across multiple VIPs

dbrisson
Level 1
Level 1

I was wondering if anyone knows if it is possible to implement stickyness across multiple VIPs. In other words, if a client hits a specific VIP on a specific TCP port, then hits a different VIP on a different tcp port, can stickyness be configured to stick that client to the same server?

Thanks!

4 Replies 4

Martin Kyrc
Level 3
Level 3

Hi,

u talk about stickineess on the CSM? it's possible :), but be careful...

example:

vserver1: vip1:port1

rserver1: rserver_ip1:portX

vserver2: vip2:port2

rserver2: rserver_ip1:portY

and one sticky group for both server farms (one for rserver1, second for rserver2).

first session is established to vserver1:

- sticky is recorded to rserver1 (rserver_ip1:portX)

second session is established to vserver2:

- sticky exists (client matched the sticky rule)

- session is not load-balanced, but connected to rserver by sticky record (!), in other words, session is directed to rserver_ip1:portX and no to :portY

^^^ answer to your question: it's possible :), but be careful... in other words, it's possible if the service on the server side is running on the same real server and port (portX=portY). other, use different sticky group for second server farm.

is it answer to your question?

regards,

martin

I apologize...I neglected to mention that this is for a CSS 11503.

I think, it's not possible, because CSS use sticky definition for each content rule (unlike CSM, where you define sticky group and you can associate one group with some server farm. the similar situation is for ACE.).

martin

The workaround in your case would be to use a single content rule, with only a

virtual address specified (Do not specify a port). As a result the rule will

listen on all ports, and since it's a single rule, the same sticky behavior will apply for any ports being connected to.

I have seen & done similar implementations where it was needed to stick http & Https clients to the same server.

Hope it helps

Syed Iftekhar Ahmed

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: