cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

When will LLDP-MED be available in the 6500 platform?

jkeeffe
Level 2
Level 2
6 Replies 6

Amit Singh
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

It will be available in next IOS release which is due to be released shortly.

HTH,Please rate if it does.

-amit singh

Do you know if there will be instructions on how to configure LLDP-MED's various fields, other than adjusting LLDP timers, or enabling/disabling LLDP-MED TLVs, which is all the config info that is supplied with the 3750 12.2(37)SE?

I've read on an Avaya forum that thru LLDP-MED not only can the switch tell an IP phone what voice vlan to use - in Cisco's case via the 'switchport voice vlan xxx' command - but it will be able to tell many other things like how much power to use, what the TFTP server IP address is, etc.

But nowhere does Cisco explain how to do this - even with the 3750 IOS that now supports LLDP-MED.

How do I find out how Cisco intends to allow for that kind of configuration?

The capabilities that you are telling about LLDP, they are already supported from a long-time back. This is all done using the CDP protocol between the IP Phones and Cisco switches.

Cisco IP Phone uses CDP to communicate information such as auxiliary VLAN ID, per-port power management details, and Quality of Service (QoS) configuration information with the Cisco Catalyst switch.

Please see the link below for more information:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/phones/ps379/products_administration_guide_chapter09186a00805f1f1a.html

HTH,Please rate if it does.

-amit singh

Yes - I understand exactly what you are saying about CDP - but that doesn't help us as we don't use Cisco IP Phones - and that still doesn't tell me specifically how to config the switch to tell LLDP what information to announce.

Specifically - how do I configure the Cisco switch to populate the LLDP-MED field with a TFTP server address, which the IP phone will then use?

Thanks for your patience.

Setting up the TFTP server address is not supported on Cisco switches neither with CDP nor with LLDP. The only way you can setit up on switches is if you are using it as a DHCP serber and then setup an option 150 in the DHCP config.

Which IP Pbx you are using. Where is the DHCP server located on your network. Generally on Cisco IP Phones we set option 150 in the DHCP server to pass on the DHCP server address along with the IP address when IP phones boots up and request fo an IP. I would not be able to comment anything on 3rd Ip phones, but you try enabling the option 150 under the DHCPO setting and set the TFTP server IP address and check if the IP phone picks it up or not.

HTH,

-amit singh

You are right. We currently use option 150 or 276 to send to our Avaya phones the tftp server, the phone's IP address, and the IP address of the call server.

But I was sure I read somewhere that LLDP-MED will be able to advertise a tftp server address. Maybe I was given wrong information.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card