failed bsci today; not that upset

Unanswered Question
Jul 25th, 2007

Did the sims okay, for a change, but way too much emphasis on ipv6 multicasting and isis, where I spent the bulk of my study time on OSPF BGP and EIGRP.

Personally I have performed in this business for 25 years and never needed to know much about any of those others...

I wish they'd break the CCNP down into tracks releveant to people's particular jobs. BSCI is too much material for one sitting anyway but a lot of it is just plain not worth the time it takes to memorize if you are never going to get to use it on a daily basis.

Novell MCNE used to have like 5 or 6 tracks. The advanced cisco certs, like CCIE also have various specialties. CCNP should do likewise. After you get past the fundamentals of CCNA you should be able to get advanced certs but specialize in areas your employer will actually use....just a thought. General info on MC, ISIS, etc is understandably expected but the details I had on my exam were really ridiculous considering my job requirements will never use them.

I have this problem too.
0 votes
Overall Rating: 0 (0 ratings)
srue Wed, 07/25/2007 - 10:09

Cisco already does something similar to what you're asking. They have a track for networking (CCNP), security (CCSP), voice (CCVP), ISP (CCIP), and design (CCDP).

bwgray Wed, 07/25/2007 - 12:04

Sorry about your luck there mate. I'm prepping for BSCI as we speak and yes there sure is a ton of information on it. I find I keep going back through my manual and labs, and feel like I'm still learning new things -when it should be review. There are alot to the protocols themselves, but I'm still struggling with configuring multicasting, or remembering the commands to do so.

nirmalsoni Thu, 07/26/2007 - 07:03

Well bwgray.. did u look for some CBT`S for 642-901 CBT Nuggets is great and Train Signal as well...

bwgray Thu, 07/26/2007 - 07:48

I will do thanks!

Acutally I'm currently working through configuring it and undstanding it - at least the setup. Unfortunately I don't have all of the switches, so I'm just doing a simple lab setup with Ghost sending out a stream to Router 1 and trying to take that stream and send it down the routers. Can't really do to much with IGMP though, without setting up another desktop on the other side and all. The concepts are straighforward, just remembering all of the litte ip pim commands and what they do is the tricky part.

Sue, I am on your side.

It is great to know that you clear where you went wrong. So I am sure you can pass next time after facing your problems.

I agree with you topic covered in CCNP is more and more in quantities. I guess one reason is because CCNP works like CCIE's apprentice; [and , of course, Cisco is Donald Trump :) ] In real world, CCNP need to look after everything in the network, from router, switches to PIX and IPT. Do some basic monitoring and troubleshooting, system config and implemention of new network devices to the production network. After serveral years, [if you are not fired] then you can select your track for CCIE. Do some work presales and post-sales which is more interesting.

You may not require these skill set in your job now, but certainly will help when you change your job in one day.

I am waiting for your good news soon.

regards,

Alex

shikamarunara Thu, 08/02/2007 - 12:55

BSCI is one tough exam. I failed it the first time and one of the sims was a killer for me. I eventually got through all of the tests, but I've seen BSCI stop some test takers cold and keep them from finishing the track. Keep hacking away and be prepared.

-Shikamaru

Actions

This Discussion