Multicast traffic generator

Unanswered Question
Jul 25th, 2007

Hi All,

Is there a way I can run multicast traffic generation on a router? I.E. A software piece, a configuration ect. I have routers but want to generate traffic for them, so I can practice multicast labs effectivly.

I have this problem too.
0 votes
Overall Rating: 0 (0 ratings)
scottmac Wed, 07/25/2007 - 13:09

Aside from some routing protocols, no, nothing substantial.

For some classes, we used stuff like iTunes or other music multicaster on a scrap machine. The reward for properly configuring your router was that you could receive music ...

Some of the Video / webcam software should be able to put out some MC frame as well.

Good Luck

jcrussell Wed, 07/25/2007 - 13:12

Check out the rtr or ip sla commands, depending on which IOS version you are using. They can be used to generate a constant stream of traffic.

A simple "ping repeat 10" works for quick checks, too.

andrew.burns Thu, 07/26/2007 - 04:00

Yes, you can use MRM (multicast routing monitor) for this purpose. It is described in the IP Multicast Configuration Guide:

The benefits of the MRM are as follows:

*MRM allows network personnel to generate test flows without having to use host devices.

*MRM can verify a multicast environment prior to an event. You need not wait for real multicast traffic to fail in order to find out that a problem exists. You can test the multicast routing environment before a planned event.

*MRM provides easy diagnostics. The error information is easy for the user to understand.

*MRM is scalable. This diagnostic tool works well for many users.

This Discussion