cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Vlans over VPN or GRE tunnel

alucky8ball
Level 1
Level 1

I am trying to configure a backup solution for a customer's network. Currently they have a point to point connection, and switches at the other location are vtp clients to the switches at the primary location. However, the customer wants to put in a DSL backup at each site, and have all of their vlans available over this link. What would be the best option for doing this?

7 Replies 7

bhedlund
Level 4
Level 4

Read up on L2TPv3

Already found that in researching for a solution. Sadly the customer cannot afford the devices that L2TPv3 runs on. Any other solutions?

Do the sites really *need* L2 adjacency? Maybe now is the time to talk to this customer about L3 separation between sites. Things get alot more easy and affordable when we can use good old fashion IP routing. ;)

-Brad

How would I go about designing a failover network using RIP? If I keep multiple vlans at each site, what equipment would be needed to route the traffic between sites over a fiber connection (from service provider), plus provide a backup (over DSL) in the event that the fiber connection went down?

may be you can try opensource solution, openvpn bridging tunnel (http://openvpn.net/bridge.html)

I actually stopped trying to carry layer 2 functionality over redundant links and just used my point to point connection with routers, then tied the same routers together over a GRE tunnel and setup EIGRP to route the networks on both sides. So now, Vlan 1-4 exist on both sides, only with different IP schemes.

That is the correct solution. Once traffic gets to destination via GRE, it will naturally take again the correct VLAN due to the addressing.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card