IOS Download to Flash

Unanswered Question
Jul 25th, 2007

Does anyone know why IOS is requiring me to erase flash prior to downloading a new IOS even though I have plenty of space available to support multiple images? I am running 12.4(4)T Advanced Enterprise Services on a 3825 platform. Thanks in advance.

I have this problem too.
0 votes
Overall Rating: 0 (0 ratings)
Richard Burts Wed, 07/25/2007 - 17:50

If the IOS really requiring that you erase flash or is it just prompting you about erasing flash? I agree with you that if there is sufficient room for the second image in flash that the router should just do the copy - and most platforms it does just that. But I have experiences with 1721 routers when I do a copy tftp flash that the router always asks if I want to erase flash, and the default answer is yes. But if I say no, then the router goes ahead and does the copy. I have never understood why the behavior was different, but have learned to adapt to it. I suspect the same thing may be happening with your router. If you respond no to the prompt does it go ahead and copy?

jay77jay77 Thu, 07/26/2007 - 02:47

Just my thought might be due to the soft coding according to the FLASH there are flash type A, type B and Type C.

This Discussion