cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

IOS Download to Flash

efairbanks
Level 1
Level 1

Does anyone know why IOS is requiring me to erase flash prior to downloading a new IOS even though I have plenty of space available to support multiple images? I am running 12.4(4)T Advanced Enterprise Services on a 3825 platform. Thanks in advance.

2 Replies 2

Richard Burts
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Erik

If the IOS really requiring that you erase flash or is it just prompting you about erasing flash? I agree with you that if there is sufficient room for the second image in flash that the router should just do the copy - and most platforms it does just that. But I have experiences with 1721 routers when I do a copy tftp flash that the router always asks if I want to erase flash, and the default answer is yes. But if I say no, then the router goes ahead and does the copy. I have never understood why the behavior was different, but have learned to adapt to it. I suspect the same thing may be happening with your router. If you respond no to the prompt does it go ahead and copy?

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

Just my thought here...it might be due to the soft coding according to the FLASH type...as there are flash type A, type B and Type C.

Cheers!

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card