cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

VPN client not allowing FTP, even when not using the VPN.

randyclark
Level 1
Level 1

When a Cisco VPN client is installed on a PC it seems to be blocking FTP to the Internet when the client is not logged in using the VPN. In other words when they are not using the VPN and are accessing the Internet from home as normal they cannot use FTP to the Internet with the Cisco VPN client installed. Any ideas why that is?

6 Replies 6

ivillegas
Level 6
Level 6

I don't think that VPN client blocks FTP to internet when it is installed but is not used. You may check this by unisntalling VPN client and then trying to do FTP to internet. Also check if FTP is disabled or blocked by firewall.

It's the Cisco VPN client causing the problem. We've tested it by uninstalling the client. You can also stop the VPN service and FTP will work. I too thought that if the program wasn't running nothing would be blocked. But even with the program closed there is still a service running that is causing problems.

The vpn client only blocks inbound connections not outbound connections. Pull up the log file and take a look.

The log file for the VPN client? Would there be a log file if the client isn't running and only the Cisco service?

Are you using an address pool when you VPN in? If so, does the potential exist that you are blocking FTP via some ACLs or Firewalls on your network? You said when you disconnect the client that FTP works?

Hope this gives some help.

The PC cannot FTP to the open Internet after installing the VPN client, even with the client not running. In other words with the client installed and not open the PC cannot FTP to the Internet. They can however stop the Cisco VPN service from admin tools and FTP will work this service appears to run even if do not open the VPN client. I would think with the VPN Client closed and VPN is not being used at all then nothing should be blocked to the Internet.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: