Views
Helpful
Replies

Etherchannel downtime

capajaron
Level 1
Level 1

Hi.

I just wanna ask if configuring an etherchannels requires a downtime?

How long the downtime is if it has?

Thanks

Cliff

3 Replies 3

ankbhasi
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Cliff,

When you configure etherchannel you bind some ports together in a single bundle so traffic which is already passing through that port may get affected for few seconds may be less than seconds depending on how fast you configure etherchannel at a remote switch also.

Till the time etherchannel is UP and running traffic is affected. So make sure you have exactly same configuration on all the ports participating in etherchannel and on both the switches.

I will recommend to take and arrange a downtime of may be 1 minute to configure both the switches but if you are fast enough or have some scripts which can configure etherchannel on both the switches at a same time switching of traffic is very quick.

HTH

Ankur

*Pls rate all helpfull post

ankur,

Thanks for the reply,another thing is how do i configure etherchannel if i have a stack 3750s to a 2950 switch,

2950 -Gbit1 connected --> 3750-Stack Master

-Gbit2 connected --> 3750-Stack Backup

Thanks

Cliff

Hi Cliff,

You can form an etherchannel using different switches in the stack connecting to one switch. In a 3750 stack, the master and the slave switches are seen as one switch.

g1/0/1_________switch A

3750 g1/0/2_________switch A(same switch)

using two different switch in the stack.

master g1/0/1_________switch A

3750 stack slave g2/0/1_________switch A(same switch)

I will also recommed you to read this doc

http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/product/lan/cat3750/12237se/scg/swethchl.htm#wp1376062

HTH

Ankur

*Pls rate all helpfull post

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: