cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Switch ports ip map

baranmehmet884
Level 1
Level 1

I have cisco catalyst 3500 XL series 24 ports switch. I need which port connected a device and what is ip and mac address of these devices. Is is possible?

I use show mac-address-table for mac addresses. And i use show arp fro ips. But sometime show arp doesn't work. How can i do this? is it possible???

4 Replies 4

Jon Marshall
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi

Which device is doing the Layer 3 routing for the pc's connected to the switch. This is where you need to run the "sh arp"

Jon

i know but sh arp doesn't working enough. Sometime i can see a mac address in "show mac-address-table".but i can't find a ip for this mac address in "show arp". what is the reason of this? is it about security settings?

Hi Friend,

sh arp on switch may not alawys show you ip address for learned mac address because l2 switch is not talking to the machines at IP layer.

Try pinging from switch to that machine and see if that is learned. Or else go to the first L3 hop for machines and try initiating ping from that device to thos emachines and arp entry will be populated.

HTH

Ankur

*Pls rate all helpfull post

Thanks for help! I don't know the devices ips. i want to learn them. And I only have mac addresses. I know i can use shwo arp after ping the ips. But there is so much devices and their ips are dinamyc. So i can't ping over ips. I must find another way. Thanks again.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card