Views
Helpful
Replies

SNMP Monitoring

danny9797
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I'm trialing solarwinds to monitor my test network here.

I configured the following command on my router:

snmp-server community private RW

In solarwinds, it asks for the I.P address and SNMP Community String.

When I enter the above fields, i'm getting error messages:

'10.0.0.1' does not respond to SNMP Queries using 'private'

Any steps or configurations which i'm doing wrong here?

Thanks

6 Replies 6

Not applicable

Richard Burts
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Dan

What you have posted looks ok. I would suggest that you verify that the addresses are correct (is the router really pointing at the right address for the server, and is the server really pointing at the right address for the router). If the addresses are correct I would suggest that you verify connectivity between the router and the server (ping is good for that). If connectivity is good then I would suggest that you check for access lists that might block SNMP (either on the router or on some intermediate router between this router and the server).

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

hdommath
Level 1
Level 1

Is 10.0.0.1 the ip address of your router?..If yes, please check if you can reach it (ping) from the host where solarwinds is running. The router config is ok. Also look for any acls blocking snmp.

Thanks a lot guys,

I believe is b/c i'm running a trial version of the software, it's not allowing me to use certain features. I couple of features worked for me. I'm not sure why the program should just indicate that the feature is locked due to the trial licensing as opposed to denying my snmp password.

I believe this is the issue anyhow...

I have a question about the smtp string. What is the RO and RW for? Can I monitor the interface if it's set to read only? Why would I have to use the writing attribute?

You could monitor statistics using the read only community. With the read write you could perform things such as shutdown and interface etc.

Example.

You could use a tool like Ciscoworks LMS to provision vlans, ports etc using read/write snmp community or just monitor which ports are in use using the read community.

sljacobs2015
Level 1
Level 1

I have had this problem when the firewall is blocking snmp as well as the above mentioned acl.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: