cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

7921 switching from 802.11g to 802.11a and vice versa

f-genovese
Level 1
Level 1

Does anyone know if a 7921 Cisco WiPhone can automatically switch from a 802.11g connection to an 802.11a connection moving from a g coverage area (2,4 GHz) to an a coverage area (5,0 GHz)?

5 Replies 5

migilles
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Yes if the phone is in one of the Auto modes, either Auto-RSSI, Auto-a, or Auto-b/g, then the phone can potentially roam to a different band. The roam will not be seamless as it will have to discover the channels in the new band. Also DFS channels on 5 GHz will need to be passively scanned.

So should expect a short outage when moving to a new band and on call. The call will be retained after moving to the new band.

Yes, I think the WiPhone works or in 802.11b/g or in 802.11a but not both at the same time (one active and the other in standby/scanning). So, the switching process from 802.11b/g to 802.11a causes an outage. I'd like to know if someone has tested if this possible roaming-outage is perceptible in a roaming inter-cell from 802.11a to 802..1b/g and viceversa, during a call.

So only 1 band is scanned during association period. If connected to 802.11a w/ Auto-A configured, then will not scan B/G until signal for 5 GHz for configured network is lost. So yes it will be noticeable, which is why I stated this type of roam is not seamless. Please set expectations correctly.

I was interested in roaming between b/g cells and a cells, 'cause I have to project an outdoor coverage for a campus. The indoor coverage is already present: there are more than 100 APs distributed over 3 buildings, using the 3 non-overlapping channel (ch 1, 6, 11 managed by 3 WLC4402-50-K9).

My goal was to use the 802.11a for the outdoor coverage to avoid the channels interference with the indoor signals. Moreover in 802.11a I could use 19 channels against only 3 non-overlapping channels of 802.11b/g.

The outdoor coverage in this campus was thought above all for WiPhones connectivity, so I think I can't use the solution I mentioned before, for the roaming trouble.

Thank you for your support,

reagrds

Federico

Rob Huffman
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi Michael,

Very good description of this functionality! 5 points for your great work :)

Take care,

Rob

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card