cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

VLAN traffic traversing on an trunk port of another L2 switch trunked toL3

visurth130174
Level 1
Level 1

Sorry abt the clumsy diagram below, I was wondering if the L2switch in between the L3 and the L2 switch below would allow vlans to traverse to L3 and be able to communicate with other vlans. the switch 2 does not have a direct connection to L3. The trunkport configured is allowing all vlans by default.

[L3(intervlanrouting)]<--trunkport<--[L2(V1,V2,V3)]<--trunkport<--[L2(V4,V5,V6)]

1 Accepted Solution
5 Replies 5

Yes as long as the L2 switch in the middle is aware of vlan 4, 5 and 6 and the trunks do not prune any of those vlans. Pruning is disabled by default on trunks so you should be ok.

HTH

Sundar

So does that mean i don't have to configure v4, 5 and 6 on the switch in between L3 and the 2nd L2 switch.

No you need to create vl4,5,6 in the middle switch if you aren't running VTP in the network.

HTH

Sundar

Could you please send me any link or doc that talks abt the topic that gives me more insight on this...

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card