Managing non SNMP devices using CW

Answered Question
Jul 26th, 2007

How can I manage or discover my non SNMP cisco devices using CW?

I have this problem too.
0 votes
Correct Answer by Joe Clarke about 9 years 4 months ago

IP phones are handled specially by LMS. Discovery and Campus Data Collection ignore IP phones since they do not have SNMP stacks. The only application in LMS that has any relation to IP phones is User Tracking. While it does not actual talk to the phones, it displays IP phone details using switch CAM data, router ARP data, and Call Manager ccmPhoneTable data (from the CISCO-CCM-MIB).

Overall Rating: 5 (9 ratings)
jreekers Thu, 07/26/2007 - 09:26

Hi...not possible. Ciscoworks requires (at a minimum) SNMP RO access in order to add the device to the inventory.

Regards,

-J

shahbaztyagi Thu, 07/26/2007 - 09:34

Do we require SNMP for discovery also in CW? Cant it find all the non snmp cisco devices in the network using auto discovery?

David Stanford Thu, 07/26/2007 - 09:41

In order for a device to discovered and managed in the topology map it also needs snmp ro access. It uses snmp RO to read the cdp tables and map things out.

Non-snmp devices will appear in User tracking as end hosts.

jreekers Thu, 07/26/2007 - 10:39

I'm assuming you're talking about Campus Manager, and yes, you'll need SNMP configured (and CDP as mentioned in a previous message).

Regards,

-J

Correct Answer
Joe Clarke Sat, 07/28/2007 - 23:50

IP phones are handled specially by LMS. Discovery and Campus Data Collection ignore IP phones since they do not have SNMP stacks. The only application in LMS that has any relation to IP phones is User Tracking. While it does not actual talk to the phones, it displays IP phone details using switch CAM data, router ARP data, and Call Manager ccmPhoneTable data (from the CISCO-CCM-MIB).

Actions

This Discussion