cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Managing non SNMP devices using CW

shahbaztyagi
Level 1
Level 1

How can I manage or discover my non SNMP cisco devices using CW?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

IP phones are handled specially by LMS. Discovery and Campus Data Collection ignore IP phones since they do not have SNMP stacks. The only application in LMS that has any relation to IP phones is User Tracking. While it does not actual talk to the phones, it displays IP phone details using switch CAM data, router ARP data, and Call Manager ccmPhoneTable data (from the CISCO-CCM-MIB).

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

jreekers
Level 4
Level 4

Hi...not possible. Ciscoworks requires (at a minimum) SNMP RO access in order to add the device to the inventory.

Regards,

-J

Do we require SNMP for discovery also in CW? Cant it find all the non snmp cisco devices in the network using auto discovery?

In order for a device to discovered and managed in the topology map it also needs snmp ro access. It uses snmp RO to read the cdp tables and map things out.

Non-snmp devices will appear in User tracking as end hosts.

I'm assuming you're talking about Campus Manager, and yes, you'll need SNMP configured (and CDP as mentioned in a previous message).

Regards,

-J

Yup, and what about Cisco IP Phones, we can't make those SNMP enable

IP phones are handled specially by LMS. Discovery and Campus Data Collection ignore IP phones since they do not have SNMP stacks. The only application in LMS that has any relation to IP phones is User Tracking. While it does not actual talk to the phones, it displays IP phone details using switch CAM data, router ARP data, and Call Manager ccmPhoneTable data (from the CISCO-CCM-MIB).

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco