cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

CME - External DID to trunk, is it possible?

ecornwell
Level 2
Level 2

Hello,

We've got a location running CME and have trunks setup between the locations. A person at either end may dial an access code then the 4 digit extension of the person they wish to reach.

We've had a request to setup an external number that someone from their home could call and do the same thing. I'm unsure how to setup that kind of access in CME.

This is an example: A person needs to call in to a confrence call from home. They dial the pre-setup DID and then dial the access code and the 4 digit extension of the call.

I'm not sure if something else has to be in-between to answer the call or not.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

2 Replies 2

Not applicable

Direct Inward Dialing (DID), is a one-way incoming trunking mechanism, that allows an external caller to directly reach a specific extension without the call being served by an attendant or other intervention.

It is a service offered in which the last few (typically three or four) digits dialed by the caller are forwarded to the called party on a special DID trunk. For example, all the phone numbers from 555-0000 to 555-0999 could be assigned to a company with 20 DID trunks. When a caller dials any number in this range, the call is forwarded on any available trunk. If the caller dialed 555-0234, then the digits 2, 3, and 4 are forwarded. These DID trunks could be terminated on a PBX, so that the extension 234 gets the call without operator assistance. This makes it look as though 555-0234 and the other 999 lines all have direct outside lines, while only requiring 20 trunks to service the 1,000 telephone extensions. Using DID, a company can offer its customers individual phone numbers for each person or workstation within the company without requiring a physical line into the PBX for each possible connection. Compared to regular PBX service, DID saves the cost of a switchboard operator. Calls go through faster, and callers feel they are calling a person rather than a company

Thank you for the reply.

We are already using a DID to get to the destination. The problem was that we wanted to be able to dial out from there to utilize our WAN connections to make calls. I believe its called Toll Bypass. We didn't have much luck. The site was doing it before but never told us how. It turned out they were using the CUE default Auto Attendant script. I modified it to meet our current needs and it is working as expected now.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: