Views
Helpful
Replies

Ap1100 and QoS

liettig
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

We have a customer with about 40 AP1100 and without wireless controller.

These AP's are used only for voice. The customer use 7920 cisco phones.

Sometimes the customer experience some blank gap in the voice.

On the AP's the QoS is not implemented because there is only voice traffic.

Is it correct not to implement QoS on AP's? Or, even if there is only voice traffic, the QoS on AP's should be implemented?

3 Replies 3

rghernandez
Level 1
Level 1

I am not a voice wizzard, but i would want to run QoS on the AP's as for an exact reason why...well since voice usualy requires a fixed bit rate. QoS will manage Bandwidth, latency, jitter, and reliability. thus allowing your existing network to run more efficently, and better performance. Hope this helps.

migilles
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Would ensure that you use 12.3(8)JEA1 on the AP and 3.02 on the 7920.

Does this gap occur when roaming? Not per say physically moving, but AP reassociating to a different AP.

Yes QoS should be implemented, but AP uses CDP to detect 7920 to put it's packets into voice queue. Below is a sample QoS policy to enable if DSCP is preserved. Then apply these to the interfaces.

class-map match-all SCCP

match ip dscp cs3

class-map match-all RTP

match ip dscp ef

!

policy-map Voice

class RTP

set cos 6

class SCCP

set cos 3

Hi thanks a lot for your answers.

Yes the gap occurs when roaming. The software versions of AP's and 7920 are a little bit older so I will provide and update and let you know the result.

Where should I apply the config? On the switch side or AP side? With service policy input or service policy output?

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card