Helpful
Replies

Cisco PIX 515E Firewall issue

grahambo2005
Level 1
Level 1

Hey All

I have a couple of queries.

Im having an issue with my Firewall. It keeps "shuttting down" every 10 min or so, for approx 30 sec and then comes back up.

when I say "shuttiing down" I mean I cannot ping the firewall from either side, be it from inside my network or from the router to which it is connected to.

the Times are no consistent either IE sometimes its up for 8 mins, sometimes 15 etc. has anyone encoutered this problem before?

To me is sounds like this firewall is ready for the bin, but if anyone knows of a solution I would greatly appriciate it

Also if this Firewall is for the bin could you recommend a good replacement firewall? I have not really being keeping tabs on cisco hardware over the last year and a half.

Cheers

Graham

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

spremkumar
Level 9
Level 9

Hi

You can check out for ASA Series boxes which is tipped to be the replacement available for PIX Firewalls in near future..

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/ps6120/prod_models_comparison.html

Based on number of connections and othe features you can choose the best bet which can fit onto your requirement...

regds

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

spremkumar
Level 9
Level 9

Hi

You can check out for ASA Series boxes which is tipped to be the replacement available for PIX Firewalls in near future..

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/ps6120/prod_models_comparison.html

Based on number of connections and othe features you can choose the best bet which can fit onto your requirement...

regds

gwong
Level 1
Level 1

Did you just purchase or upgraded the PIX IOS? If so, then you probably have one of the 7.XX version PIX IOS which is buggy and unstable. I used to work for MSSP companies and we would run into these situation where the PIX would reboot out of the blue without any kind of indication. check for the crashinfo with "show crashinfo" and probably sent attached it to the a cisco ticket. Or if you have a version of 7.0.6 or lower upgrade to the known Good Deployment of PIX OS version 7.0(7) software. Its the only GD version so far. If you are a dare-devil, you can always try the cutting edge code 8.0.2.

~Norman

JORGE RODRIGUEZ
Level 10
Level 10

Graham, could you post a "show version" from the pix so we could see what code version you are running.

Jorge Rodriguez

Hey, unfortunatly I am unable to to post that (not because I dont know how) but beause I dont know the user name and or pasword needed in order to access the firewall

The Firewall and router were purchased by us but set up by another company before I started. Its a real mess and I have no way to access the firewall confiuration settings without wiping it memory. and thats something I really dont want to do.

I think I will just have to purchase a new one and start from scratch. but thanks for your help guys

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card