cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Windows Vista and VPN Client 5.0

mihouser0
Level 1
Level 1

I have Window Vista Home 32-Bit. The install went well but when I try to run the program I get a error 56. When I go to the services and Start the Cisco VPN service it does not start. I am not sure what to do now.

Thanks,

10 Replies 10

srue
Level 7
Level 7

reboot? uninstall/reinstall?

do you have the latest (non-beta) vista client?

I have done that many times. I have version 5.0.00.0340

I have version 5.0.02.0090

and I get the same error

ajagadee
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Just some thoughts. Have you tried..

1) Disable AntiVirus and Firewall services

2) Disable UAC

3) Uninstall the client via Control Panel

4) Reboot

5) Install the client

6) Reboot

Regards,

Arul

** Please rate all helpful posts **

This user is an administrator on his machine. I have done all lised steps. He is going to upgrade to Vista Biz and hopefully that will do the trick. I will post back if it works

djones
Level 1
Level 1

Make sure the pc isn't using Fast User Switching. If they switch over from another user on the pc, it won't work. The other users on the pc need to be logged off or it won't work. This goes for older clients too.

It is not

What setup file are you running? vpnclient_setup.exe or the msi? .exe works for me.

I have tried both

Has this issue been resolved?

I am having this very same issue with versions 5.0.00.0340 and 5.0.01.0600 for Vista Biz.

I was told by TAC to try a new DNE driver here:

http://www.deterministicnetworks.com/Downloads/dneupdate.asp

But that did not work.

When I first started working on this problem (before trying the DNE driver), I noticed that cvpnd.exe would fail to start. I manually started it, only to watch it revert back to 'stop'. It would not stay running no matter how many times I tried starting it. This happened with both versions of the client (5.0.00.0340 and 5.0.01.0600).

At some point, I managed to fix this piece. The service started normally and remained running. I tried things like disabling Vista FW, Defender etc. Not sure what did it. However, I still had problems after that [ 1) Fails to initialize Virtual Adapter, or 2) I connect but can't ping anything on the private VPN subnet or 3) I connect fine and can ping the Private subnet only to have the connection timeout after approx 15 minutes of idle time.] Other XP clients don't timeout if Idle.

After installing the new DNE driver, I am back to the original problem where cvpnd will not stay in the 'running' state.

What the?!?!?!

Help! Please :-D

Thanks in advance.

-Steve

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: