Views
Helpful
Replies

6506E Question

william.briere
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I have just received a new 6506E and want to start configuring it. Out of the box I have plugged it in but am unable to hyperterminal to it to start confuring it. Am I missing something?

6 Replies 6

ougryphon
Level 1
Level 1

If you have a switch or a router close by, try connecting to it to see if your hyperterm settings and cable are OK.

I am using the cable provided in the box along with the adapter. 9600 baud, 8 data bits, no parity, and 2 stop bits. It must be Friday... :)

Unless the 6506 is different from the lower end routers and switches I'm using, you should only have 1 stop bit. Also, make sure hardware flow control is off.

This si what it says in the setup guide... I tried 1 stop bit too...

Note The accessory kit that shipped with your Catalyst 6500 series switch contains the necessary cable and adapters to connect a terminal or modem to the console port.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

To connect a terminal to the console port using the cable and adapters provided, follow these steps:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Step 1 Place the console port mode switch in the in position (factory default).

Step 2 Connect to the port using the RJ-45-to-RJ-45 cable and RJ-45-to-DB-25 DTE adapter or RJ-45-to-DB-9 DTE adapter (labeled "Terminal").

Step 3 Position the cable in the cable guide (if installed). Make sure there are no sharp bends in the cable.

Step 4 Check the terminal documentation to determine the baud rate. The baud rate of the terminal must match the default baud rate (9600 baud) of the console port. Set up the terminal as follows:

?9600 baud

?8 data bits

?No parity

?2 stop bits

The COM port on the laptop was bad... It sure does feel like a Friday !! :) Sorry to waste the time of this support group.

Just to clarify, you are saying that the CLI doesn't even come up, correct? Also, I assume that the switch is showing some signs of life when turned on - fans running, lights blinking, that sort of thing?

Edit: Nevermind, I just saw your post. Good thing it wasn't something serious. Have fun.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card