cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Load balancing

drnteam
Level 1
Level 1

I configured the router which are connecting to 2 different branches. But always i can see the traffic is flowing only through one link only. how can i do a load balancing. The 1st link is 128Kbs and second is 64Kbs. Is it necessay that both the links should be in same band width.

6 Replies 6

nikolay-shopik
Level 1
Level 1

You better tell us more about your setup, what links are you using it's? if it's ppp encapsulation you can use MPPP

mahmoodmkl
Level 7
Level 7

Hi

Is the links going to the same destination,if they are then load-balancing will take automatically if u have specified routes with equal AD.

Thanks

Mahmood

Mahmood

Specifying equal AD only specifies that both routes were learned from the same protocol source (both statics, or both OSPF, or both EIGRP, etc). Whether load balancing occurs or not depends on the routing protocol. If running OSPF there would not be load balancing because the OSPF metric is calculated from bandwidth and OSPF does not support un-equal cost load balancing. If running EIGRP there is an option to specify variance and EIGRP can support load balancing over un-equal cost paths. If the links are both one hop away then running RIP or configuring static routes can do load balancing because both paths will look equal.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

Hi Rick,

Thanks for u r reply and correcting me,u know still learning from experts like u.U r an asset to this forum.

Thanks

Mahmood

Mahmood

Thank you for the kind words. I am pleased to be an asset to the forum. Early in my career I did not understand many of these things nearly as well as I do now. I am pleased to see your responses in the forum and hope that you will continue your studies, continue to improve your understanding of these concepts, and continue to be active in the forum.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

EPHRAIM MANI
Level 3
Level 3

Little bit confused with ur query above, would like you to brief the setup once again. I understand that u have a rouer A conntected to two barances B and C, how the two link in picture are connected are they pointing to one location either B or C.

Also brief us what routing protocol u r using for the same

Thanks EM

Kindly rate all the post if it helps in anyway.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card