cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

hsrp and glbp

cfajardo1_2
Level 1
Level 1

I cant figure out the difference between hsrp and glbp on the 6500.

anyone could explain please.

thanks

8 Replies 8

balajitvk
Level 4
Level 4

Hi,

The configuration overhead to do the loadbalancing is nil in GLBP as it is doing automatically so we find it better utilization of link as compared to default HSRP configuration.

And also serval operational modes that GLBP supports for load-balancing

1. Weighted loadbalancing

2. Host-dependent

3. Round-robin.

is providing higher flexibility on utilization of the links.

Rate if it does,

Rgs

would this solves the problem below;

- 2 routers config with mhsrp (2 groups)

- having 2 virtual ip (1 for each group)

- thereby having 2 diff def gateways for clients

will glbp solves the prob by having only single ip address in this case?

Are the clients in different vlans or in the same vlan. If the clients are in different vlans, then you still have to define two groups in the GLBP config but the difference here would be that both the routers will be active for each group, so you will see an effective load-balancing across both the routers.

If all the clients are in a single vlan and you are using 2 groups and gateways for load-balancing then you can have a single group defined and both the routers will be active and doing the effective load-balancing.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/ps6600/products_data_sheet09186a00800b4694.html

-amit singh

what i mean is;

- hsrp can do load balncing with 2 routers by using multi group and thereby having 2 virtual ip's whereas

- glbp can do this load balancing the 2 routers by having only single ip

AM I HAVING THE RIGHT UNDERSTANDING?

THANKS

Hi,

Yes, your understanding is right but with a difference.

In HSRP, you can do loadbalancing by using multi-group and assigning each router as active for each group. But it is not a actual loadbalancing because if one of the group having higher traffic than other, then one router/link is highly utilized than other. Moreover, you need to do this manually.

But in GLBP, it is doing loadbalancing among a single group automatically which will give true loadbalancing among routers or links.

Rate if it does,

Rgs

Hi all

GLBP does provide true load balancing as explained above..

correct me if i am wrong here ...

But in a campus network where you have various VLANs, GLBP does not provide load balancing,if you span vlan across campus network i.e. distribution at L2 ....

** I know it is not best practise to span vlan across but I have seen requirements like this ..

rgds

Hi Rajat,

I don't see any probs in having GLBP even if the distribution @ L2. Simillarly GLBP can be used whereever HSRP can be used and i don't see any as such restriction.

Rgs,

Hi

I was saying that GLBP wonnt do true load balancing as it is designed to do in this case otherwise GLBP will work in this scenario also..

rgds,

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card