Views
Helpful
Replies

High CPU utilisation 3600 series

charleslim2006
Level 1
Level 1

Hi.

I had a problematice router will always hit cpu utilisation of 70% - 80%. is it normal for a router with series 3600 to encounter such issues and what is the best recommendated usage of a router cpu threshold? is there any official recommendation from cisco?

worry - lim

17 Replies 17

spremkumar
Level 9
Level 9

Hi Lim

70% to 80 % is on alarming stage and u really neeed to find out which process is hogging up your CPU.

You can make use of show processes cpu and show processes cpu sorted to have sorted display of process using cpu...

regds

Post the output of the following

sh proc cpu | exclude 0.00%__0.00%__0.00%

Narayan

HI,

Can you please paste the output of "show processes cpu Command"

Refer link below for further assistance: (Troubleshooting High CPU utilization on Cisco Routers):

http://www.cisco.com/warp/public/63/highcpu.html#show_process_cpu

PLS RATE if Helps

Best Regards,

Guru Prasad R

hi.. sir , thanks for the quick response ... in fact, i am going to implement a higher version router to replace the 3600 series routers. however, i cant do it if i did not have a more concrete recommendation or even a formula from cisco to support for me to introduce to my management whereby a higher version router such as 3700 to 7200 series shall be able to fulfill the needs. moreover, we had 2 routers with the same series been with the organisation for 3 yrs.

therefore, until now there is no link from cisco side to verify that 3600 series router with such high cpu recommended to change to a higher routers. so if there is anyone is able to help me to verify this. i will be more than happier.

charles

Cisco does sometimes publish recommendations about the capacity of different routers, but you often have to dig for them. They will describe either how much bandwidth the router can usually handle and/or it PPS rate.

For the 3600 series, see http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/routers/ps274/products_tech_note09186a00801e1155.shtml

Take special note about the performance difference between process switching and fast switching. Roughly the 3660 could handle 50 to 60 Mbps in its fast path but only 5 or 6 Mbps in its process path.

As just shown, the capacity of most routers can vary greatly depending on what you're doing with it. This too is sometimes mentioned but often without specifics beyond some notation of using service features.

What can be a killer is when a service feature causes the router to process switch instead of fast switch. This could be part of your problem, but you haven't provided enough detail information.

Also, not using all the routers features to their fullest can impact performance. E.g. not using the best caching mechanism.

Also, because of differences in usage, it's almost impossible to create a concrete recommendation for what size box you need. However, if you have experience with an existing Cisco router running your traffic, then if another Cisco router offer 2x the performance, that would probably be close to being true for you too, everything else being equal.

Hi,

We need you to post the "show proc cpu" and "show proc mem" at the time the CPU util is in 70-80%

Replacing the router with higher model will not help if you have serious problem in your network. The new router however big it is may inherit the same problem.

As for router recommendation, both 3600 and 3700 are EOS.

http://www.cisco.com/web/partners/downloads/765/tools/quickreference/routerperformance.pdf

http://www.cisco.com/web/partners/tools/quickreference/index.html

Hi...

guruprasadr , medan and all, the following is the show cpu process information that i had dump from the router

hope that it will be able to verify..

thanks, gentlemen for the help

charles

HI Charles, [Pls Rate if Helps]

In your output posted, i found no process having CPU utilization greater than 10%

But,

WARNING: Interrupt CPU Utilization is 86%, which is very high (>60%)

CPU interrupts are primarily caused by fast switching of traffic. Interrupts are

also generated any time a character is output from the console or auxiliary ports

of a router.

PLS RATE if HELS

Best Regards,

Guru Prasad R

Hi.. guru .. thanks for the advise. we were also suspecting that there might be some unforseen interruption that indirectly causes CPU Utilization hits between 70% - 80%. we will take note of your suggestion but as for interruption due to console. i have to say that it might not be possible cause the cpu alarm hits furiously was like couple of months back. however, as for auxiliary ports.. i think i needed to verify further.

thanks for the reply...

Hi

In addition to other comments you can monitor few things with syslog capability available with IOS.

By doing so you could import the logs back to an external server and find out any malfunction or any irratic behavior happening with your box.

regds

Hi.. Guru ,

i had confirmed and verify that we did not plug-in any form of cable or console to auxiliary and console.

thanks

What model 3600 is this and can you give us the bit rate of the active interfaces and their type (Ethernet, serial) when you get the type of stats you've attached. Are you using this router for LAN routing?

Hi.. the model that we used is 3640 and the attached file is the bit rate of the active interface as we are using fastethenet for toward input and output is about the followings:

5 mintue input rate 15147000 bits/sec, 2483 packets/sec

5 mintue output rate 4895000 bits/sec, 2224 packets/sec

in additional, we are not using lan routing

cheer

If you total bandwidth is only under 10 Mbps, I would expect the box to show a busy CPU (25 to 50%) but not what you're seeing. If you haven't already, take a look at:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/routers/ps359/products_tech_note09186a00801c2af0.shtml

and see if any of it helps.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card