Failed in CCNA THIRD time

Unanswered Question
Jul 30th, 2007
User Badges:

Hello all,

Today I attempted CCNA 640-801 in morning.. and Failed with a score of 821

..Last time I failed with a score of 796 and the first time I failed with a score of 480..

This time Everything was going fine..but some troubleshooting related questions confused me.. specially a question of series..where One question has 5 inner questions....and I think IF one of them is wrong then whole the question will be wrong...

That question was related to switches...where 4 to 5 switches were attached with one router and the examinor was asking questions about vlans..etc...

Successfully completed my Simulation Question and jumped to the next.,.

Regards,

Junaid

Overall Rating: 0 (0 ratings)
zurita212001 Mon, 07/30/2007 - 06:30
User Badges:

Keep your head up Junaid it took me some were around 5 times to pass and the 3rd and 4th time I missed by one question. I know what your going through. Z

nirmalsoni Mon, 07/30/2007 - 07:47
User Badges:

Hey dont get disappointed i think now u should be more aware of what you should read and what to leave out,keep up the charm and capture the devil...hey im not advertising any of this but i think u should visit Bryant advantage and get his material, i m sure u would definitely pass the exam..as we whole of crowd is really thankful to one man army Chris Bryant www.thebryantadvantage.com just visit and nail the exam man...

hei Nirmalsoni,

I am preparing to appear in CCNA exam in september.so i am confused and in dillama like which guide or which authors book wil be easy enough to understand and crack the exam .

As You have given the link i want to buy that guide ,Can I get it from market or wot is the procedure?

Plz get back me soon.

Thanks.

Mrp

nirmalsoni Fri, 08/03/2007 - 19:53
User Badges:

Hi

I think you should look at www.thebryantadvantage.com for his material its great great material and it should take u edge behind, u can purchase his books online, i personally believe in Computer Traning rather than relying on a book, bcoz its very easy to understand and when u see things visually u remember it a lot better, it feels great bcoz the amount of info u get from his books and his videos is tremendous

mbarouksalim Mon, 07/30/2007 - 08:01
User Badges:

It is obvious that you are progressing well, I think you just need one more attempt and you are sorted. So dont give up the fight, you are almost there.

Good luck

fayyaz_k55 Mon, 07/30/2007 - 11:16
User Badges:

Hello Junaid,

Could you please let me know the books you were using or anyother help for the exam. I am planning to go for 640-801 in August.

Regards,

Fayyaz

klaujxyooj Mon, 07/30/2007 - 18:08
User Badges:

Same here. It took me four times to pass the exam. First time score 720, second times 820, third times 809. We seem to have difficulty on the same question here, but don't lose hope. Review, review, and more review. Best luck on your next attempt.

scottmac Mon, 07/30/2007 - 18:11
User Badges:
  • Green, 3000 points or more

Remember to count everything connected to the hub as being in one collision domain, every link from the switch is, by itself, one collision domain.

Remember to count the link from the router to the switch (as 1), and the link from the router to the hub(plus everything connected to the hub) as 1.

Most people forget to count the link between the router and the switch.

Good Luck

Scott

junshah22 Mon, 07/30/2007 - 20:45
User Badges:

Hello all,

Thanks for your comments.... I used Sybex CCNA Study Guide 5th Edition by todd lammle.. CCNA command guide by CISCO., Testking and Boson Testpapers, Boson Simulator and my personal notes....

Regards,

Junaid

greekgeek Tue, 07/31/2007 - 12:59
User Badges:

Junaid:

I'm with you my friend. I failed this afternoon for the second time - I scored 821. Here are my thoughts:

The testing center needs to let us use paper and pen!!!!! This sounds like an excuse but it isn't. Trying to write subnet stuff with a stupid felt pen on that idiot board really slows me down. Plus, VUE doesn't give you anything to erase with so my hands were black. It is ridiculous.

Second, there were 9 frame relay questions and none on ISDN! There also wasn't a single question on the OSI model. What's up with that?

Hey, I scored 720 the first time (2 weeks ago) so I'm really close. I was frustrated with the whole thing but this isn't an easy test. I had my CCNA back in 2001 but that was a walk in the park compared to the new exam format.

greekgeek Tue, 07/31/2007 - 13:18
User Badges:

Junaid:

I'm with you my friend. I failed this afternoon for the second time - I scored 821. Here are my thoughts:

The testing center needs to let us use paper and pen!!!!! This sounds like an excuse but it isn't. Trying to write subnet stuff with a stupid felt pen on that idiot board really slows me down. Plus, VUE doesn't give you anything to erase with so my hands were black. It is ridiculous.

Hey, I scored 720 the first time (2 weeks ago) so I'm really close. I was frustrated with the whole thing but this isn't an easy test. I had my CCNA back in 2001 but that was a walk in the park compared to the new exam format.

nyamuthullas Tue, 08/28/2007 - 06:01
User Badges:

Hi Junaid,

just spent one week dedicate tht week for your preparation before taking the exam then let me know......todd lammle is very good material go ahead with tht....go for test king latest dumps.....its enough to complete your exam with in a week

good luck

greekgeek Tue, 07/31/2007 - 12:59
User Badges:

by the way, Cisco indicates that they will give partial credit to those simlet questions. So, you may have gotten credit for the parts that were right.

junshah22 Tue, 07/31/2007 - 21:29
User Badges:

Hello Greek,

I attempted through Thomson Prometric... and they give me a Mouse Pad like writing board and a erasable Marker with a duster... so I tried myself best in Subnetting questions.. Last time I got a score in Planning-and-Designing 100% and this time I got 75%...

So what do you say.. this time my subnetting question was wrong or what mistake i made.

secondly last time I got 50% in Technology but this time I got 85%... so that may because of simulation question which I successfully completed according to their needs.

I am frustrated with Switches and their Operations ..... specially troubleshooting vlans,, who is the root bridge like these questions.....

Regards,

Junaid

greekgeek Wed, 08/01/2007 - 04:27
User Badges:

Junaid:

Thank you - I'm going to call PearsonVUE and see if they will allow me to have paper, or bring my own marker - a fine point one!

prasenjitmedhi Wed, 08/01/2007 - 04:43
User Badges:

Here's my CCNA saga/story:

I appeared for the CCNA out of the blue in April, this year. I hadnt prepared much and I thought I could clear this test just because I had a few years experience in networking and servers. I had no idea about Frame Relay, didnt know much about the very useful show commands that IOS has. I failed miserably with a 697.

I took a course at New Horizons, their material included 4 spiral bound books which basically covers all the CCNA exam topics verbatim and in depth, and 2 lab workbooks. These really helped me in clearing the CCNA.

I decided to do the CCNA in two parts since I was working full time. I cleared the Intro at the first attempt and then cleared ICND at the second attempt, with a 903 score. I got 804 at the first try ..

Try splitting up CCNA into two exams. Then use Chapters 4-11 from Tod Lammle's book to prepare. Just add NAT/PAT, with overloading and you should be fine ..

With hard work you won't fail on the fourth try. I'm sure you can do it!

Good luck!

kenrheaccna Tue, 08/21/2007 - 03:45
User Badges:

Greekgeek,

Unforturnately, PearsonVUE will not allow pen and paper. When I showed up at their site to test yesterday, I specifically asked for pen and paper, as I am left handed and inadvertently erase everything with my palm when using their dry erase markers, and they said no. They don't want people writing down the questions and then sneaking them out in your pocket.

mattina973 Thu, 08/02/2007 - 14:33
User Badges:

I thought I was the only one! Last week, I failed with 791. I was stuck on this LAB - with 4 switches im a partial mash and two routers also. There was a console to one switch. All sort of things were asked, the vtp server, the root bridge, the default path if packet destination is uknow as well as what would happen to vlans if another switch was added.

I spent too much time on this, and at the end left about 8 questions unaswered. I want to try again this Saturday - with lightning speed!

mattina973 Thu, 08/02/2007 - 14:35
User Badges:

I thought I was the only one! Last week, I failed with 791. I was stuck on this LAB - with 4 switches in a partial mash and two routers also. There was a console to one switch. All sorts of things were asked, the vtp server, the root bridge, the default path if packet destination is uknown as well as what would happen to vlans if another switch was added.

I spent too much time on this, and at the end left about 8 questions unaswered. I want to try again this Saturday - with lightning speed!

junshah22 Thu, 08/02/2007 - 20:49
User Badges:

Hello mattina,

can you please tell me the way.....how can I choose right answers .....I am talking about the question which you mentioned...i.e. 4 switches with one or two routers and its 5 inner questions regarding root bridge, the default path etc.......

I attempted 3 times CCNA but could not understand this question.....and I am 100% sure that I failed only due to this question..

Regards,

Junaid

junshah22 Thu, 08/23/2007 - 08:10
User Badges:

Thanks Mattina,

Hope this can help me,, .. I will try these on real switches and Routers....

Regards,

Junaid

syedsohailsarwar Sun, 08/05/2007 - 12:57
User Badges:

hi Junaid

kindly check the question from some site having CCNA Dumps like www.net131 it contains dumps from testking

very good site

Hi Junaid

Are you saying in your post "Aug 2, 2007, 9:49pm PST" that you got the same question three times? I have just failed my ccna and wanted to know if the same questions come up? or if the same subjects come up? just to make revision easier, basically the whole exam was about STP and FR...

Thanks appreciate your responce

Sam

kurtdeneef Sat, 10/13/2007 - 17:29
User Badges:

Hi Junaid,

I just passed my CCNA (first time i tried by the way)

I fyou want to determine which is the root bridge,you issue the sh spanning-tree vlan x and you check which mac-address has the lowest priority (SPT is layer2,remember).Then you have to see in the configuration where your trunks are cause that's the way to verify at which ports your other switches are connected to.

Once you know them,just see which port compares with the mac-address you wrote down and poef,you have your root bridge.

Easy,isn't it ;)

To be honest,it took me about 5 minutes to figure it out also and as you propably know,5 minutes doubting during an exam is very stressy :)

Let me know if this is a good answer for you.

Kind regards,

Kurt

hasanmrana Sun, 08/05/2007 - 17:59
User Badges:

Dear junshah

Exam prepartion and technical knowledge is a little bit different. please follow the exam preparation procedure, and must follow some suggestion. I passed it last december and think its a easy one among certification.

junshah22 Sun, 08/05/2007 - 21:21
User Badges:

Dear Sohail,

can you please give me your personal email address for some discussion

Regards,

Junaid

Actions

This Discussion